Pet Skin Problems Forum

bald patch of skin

My dog has long hair, so I only noticed this last time i gave her a bath.  She has a patch of bald skin on her back.  It's small, probably 1 inch across, and a little flaky.  It's near where I usually put frontline on her, so I'm wondering if that could be the cause, although it's been a few months since I've used it on her.  I noticed it about a month ago and have been watching to see if it goes away, but it hasn't.  Should I be concerned?

As a side note, we adopted our dog while living in Africa, and have since brought her to the states.  She's been here almost a year now.  I'm not sure about her vaccinations or previous vet visits because she's my cousin's dog and has only recently come to live with me exclusively.
Localized hairloss and flaking often indicated a localized skin infection due to bacteria, demodex mites, or fungus (ringworm). Other possible causes include vaccine reaction, or irritation due to topical medication application. However if Frontline was the cause then the irritation would have occurred within a few days of application and resolved within a couple of weeks, so Frontline application a few months ago would be unlikely to cause the current lesion. I recommend veterinary examination; skin scrapings can be performed to look for mites and bacterial and a fungal/ringworm culture can be performed if needed.
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
www,dermvetvegas.com
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.