Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Community
1k Members

Constant Nose Drip

Ok, so for a background, I have a cleft lip and palate. I recently underwent a major surgery,  I Maxillary osteotomy I believe where my upper jaw was essentially pulled forward to correct my underbite. I also had cheek implants and my septum straightened. In order to do this they had to cut through both my sinuses leaving me with weekd of terrible headaches and brown congestion. My voice is now very nasaly but I should be able to correct that soon. However, I often get food stuck in my nose area now as the "flap" is very short (I can literally put my tongue behind it when I want to). While this doesn't bother me too much as I can normally dislodge it with some effort, recently I've been having extremely runny and spontaneous nasal drips. If I bend over sometimes it will rush down my nose where I didn't even know it was there to start with. I'm nor congested either, and the mucus is very yellow and thin. My initial thought is that there may be some food stuck in my nose causing a reaction, and it's only my right nostril too. Also, on another note, this began exactly 4 days ago after I got sick and threw up from drinking too much. I've thrown up from alcohol before and this has never happened but I think it's worth noting. Please help, I just need to know if this will naturally correct itself or if I'm leaking brain fluids or something. Thanks for your time!

This discussion is related to Thin yellow mucus constantly drips from nose.
These symptoms can be due to rhinitis. You need to take antihistaminics like benadryl or Claritin. Longer-acting antihistamines are available by prescription. They cause less drowsiness and can work just as well. These medications include fexofenadine and cetirizine.  But they should always be taken under medical supervision.

Secondly, you can also use nasal corticosteroid sprays after getting them prescribed from your doctor. Decongestants may also be helpful in reducing symptoms such as nasal congestion, but they should not be used for long periods. Cromolyn sodium is another nasal spray which can be used for treating hay fever. You can discuss these treatment options with an ENT specialist and then get them prescribed.

Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.