Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
393 Members

guinea pig

Does anyone know what causes the terrible ammonia smell in my guinea pigs urine. I've really noticed it a lot lately or how to subside it?
Is your piglet a male? I've had males and females and the males seem to have a much stronger odor. That meant I had to clean their cage more often just for my sake. Also make sure he's getting enough fresh water. Concentrated urine will smell stronger too.
It's a girl and she has a huge fresh water bottle. Hmm, I just thought something might be wrong. I have had her for 6 months now and never smelled it this strong. Thanks for your reply!
You're thinking maybe she has a bladder infection? That's a possibility. Or perhaps she has new cage bedding or a different food. It's hard when they can't tell us how they feel.
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.