16 yr old just diagnosed

Hi everyone! i am sixteen years old. i have been going to a dermatologyst all my life for really awful acne. i had litterally tried everything out there from medicines, creams, and home remedies..nothing worked. eventually we discovered that my acne was because i had pcos. he put me on seasonique and ive been very happy with it so far and my acne is pretty much gone completely. since being diagnosed my hair has been falling out, which i didnt relize until i went to the hair dressers one day and she told me i had a bald spot. thyroid problems run in my family but the doctor told me that mine is in check so far but needs to still be watched. i am at a pretty stable weight of about 145 and height of 5'6" but i have been trying everything to lose weight and get down to a healthy 120 or so. with pcos i have foud that losing weight is a struggle in itself. i eat very healthy(lean meats, high fiber, low carb) but nothing seems to work..ive even been working out 3x a week. i would like to know some of the "secrets" that people have learned when it comes to losing weight with pcos, best workouts, and anything else i should know about pcos. any information would be appreciated!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Being on birth control makes it harder to lose weight then being off it. I have been on and off birth control for many years and the pill itself makes you gain weight and with pcos doesnt help with that either. Sorry, I can't help with tips on trying to lose the weight, but losing the weight is possible the pill just makes it harder.
Helpful - 0
i dont have pcos but i do have a very slow metabolism. if you drink 1/4 cup lemon juice in 1 cup water(room temp) it will help speed up metabolism. also your workout should be balance with aerobics and weight training(it doesnt need to be heavy weights) good luck
Helpful - 0
Good post.  I think it deserves possibly a wider read than it might get, so you might re-post it with a title "Exercise with PCOS" or "Need PCOS information" so people with PCOS will notice it.  There might be some PCOS support groups on MedHelp, too.

As for your hair, I would be suspicious of the thyroid link more than the PCOS link, so stay on top of that with your doctor.

Good luck!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community