Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community

Alternatives to birth control/how to help hormones

I've had PCOS since I was around 17 - I began getting a hair growth on my face and then irregular periods, and was eventually diagnosed at 19. They immediately put me on birth control - the low dose one which did manage my periods but I'd rather not be on the pill if so. Its made me put on weight, I struggle with my emotions and a bit of a weird one but its messed with my alcohol intolerance? I'm 22 and ever since taking birth control, its messed with my digestion - i have like 2 alcoholic drinks and feel sick and my stomach makes some awful noises.

Anyway, I went for my pill review the other day and asked if there were any alternatives to combat the symptoms, but they said other than the coil/injection, there wasn't and it would mess with my body if I came off the pill.

I wondered if anyone had suggestions on how to improve my hormone levels and try and get natural periods again?
If you are overweight, losing some weight can help normalize your cycle. This site says loss of 5-10% is all that's needed - https://www.jeanhailes.org.au/health-a-z/pcos/irregular-periods-management-treatment#:~:text=Evidence%20shows%20that%20women%20with,weight%20can%20improve%20menstrual%20regularity. Even less loss was somewhat effective in this study - https://www.healio.com/news/endocrinology/20181228/lifestyle-changes-may-restore-menstrual-regularity-in-pcos.

Have you had your thyroid checked? Thyroid problems can cause an irregular cycle.

If you aren't overweight or weight loss isn't helpful, a different birth control pill might suit you better. There are so many options.