Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community

MEDROXYPROGESTERONE 10MG

I AM 33 YEARS OLD AND WAS PRESCRIBED THIS MEDICINE YESTERDAY.  I AM A LITTLE SCEPTICLE ABOUT IT BECAUSE THE REASON OF ME TAKING IT IS BECAUSE MY PERIOD NOT ONLY LASTED FOR 13 OR 14 DAYS FOR THE PAST 6 TO 7 MONTHS. BUT IT MADE IT HARD FOR ME TO EVEN TELL IF AND WHEN I WAS OVULATING. THIS PILL IS ACTUALLY SUPPOSE TO REGULATE MY PERIOD TO NORMAL AND GIVE ME A REGULAR CYCLE. THE DOCTOR TOLD ME TO START ON THE FIRST OF MARCH AND TAKE IT FOR 10 DAYS. MY NEXT  SET OF MEDICATION IS TO START APRIL 1 FOR 10 DAYS. I WAS WONDERING IF AND WHILE I AM TAKING THIS MEDICATION WILL I START MY PERIOD OR WILL I START A FEW DAYS AFTER.  I REALLY HOPE THESE PILLS WORK CAUSE I CANT STAND HAVING THESE LONG PERIODS. I'VE NEVER BEEN THROUGH THIS, SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.
Hello

I will also be taking Progesterone starting March 1st. but I will be taking 10mg for 14 days!  I do not have the same problem as you  but I can give you some advise!

when you take this medication it helps to build up progesterone in you body (which we should normally do by ourselves) and then after you stop taking it you will get a period anywhere from 3-10 day later.  You might need some help with progesterone so that your period will stop and then come when it should.  It may not regulate you right away but over time it should....this will help you shed your uterine lining!

I am using progesterone as a treatment because I don't get a period on my own, so over the years I have developed abnormal cells (atypia Hyperplasia....Pre cancerous condition) so I need to reverse the cells so I can keep my uterus and have children.

How many months does your doctor want you to do this?  I will be doing this for 6 months.

Why is this medication prescribed?

Medroxyprogesterone is used to treat abnormal menstruation (periods) or irregular vaginal bleeding. Medroxyprogesterone is also used to bring on a normal menstrual cycle in women who menstruated normally in the past but have not menstruated for at least 6 months and who are not pregnant or undergoing menopause (change of life). Medroxyprogesterone is also used to prevent overgrowth of the lining of the uterus (womb) and may decrease the risk of cancer of the uterus in patients who are taking estrogen. Medroxyprogesterone is in a class of medications called progestins. It works by stopping the growth of the lining of the uterus and by causing the uterus to produce certain hormones. -google-
Thank you for responding back to the post. And I really pray that God intervenes and be a spiritual cure for this pcos. My fiance and I really want to have one more baby.  But as I explained to him description and the purpose he became really concerned also and told me to read on it more. As I read the stories and the comments I became sad because for one I have never been through this and for this to be my first time it puts me a bit on edge. Second to read that other women are going through this is crazy but at the same time a little relieved because I know what to do and I know I can go to a support system such as this and find more about how to take care of this. My fiancée was more freaked out than I was because he look at me and said "are you ever gonna stop bleeding? You bleed more than a gun shot patient. That not only made me mad that he said it, but scared at the same time. I just really want this period to be short again and i pray not only for Myself, but for you and other women that we can all get through this and move forward to have healthy pregnancies and healthy babies.
Did the medicine ever work for you. I have started taking it 10days ago and have 4 more to go.

Tiffany