Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community

MEDROXYPROGESTERONE

I am 20 years old and have never had a regular period. i've gone 6 months without getting it without being pregnant or anything like that. My doctor prescribed me Medroxyprogesterone about a week ago and told me to take it for 5 days until i get my period then start taking birth control once it starts. it's been about 8 days and i still havent gotten my period. she says that it you dont get your period for more than 3 months (without the medicine, naturally)  then i have a great risk of uterus cancer. Does this mean i have cancer because it isnt working?
idk, i would ask drs, not a online forum.

When i had to take that medication my dr told me i could be pregnant if i didn't start my period. Then she gave me two weeks and told me if i hadn't started come in for an ultrasound. I got my period adn wasn't pregnant.

Have you tested for pregnancy?
yeah i have it was negative. i guess im just freaking out. i made a doctors appointment i'm just anxious to find out what is wrong thats why i asked
i didnt have a period for years and i took that same stuff to get it and then stuff to stop it since it wouldnt stop by itself i have been like this for years i have not heard that could cause cancer there are lots of women that are irregular i have had many visits to the doc and have had many clean pap results. I now am 36 with two healthy kids and no period yet again..there are birth controls out there that give u a period only 4 times a year so if what your saying is true this med would be band and thousands of women would have cancer.this is not true in most cases best of luck to you!
i did not get my period in the time frame that was given for that med either but i eventually got it!
i think the cancer part is (as my dr explained it to me) if you dont shed your uterine lining (have a period) and that tissue stays inside of you, it could become cancerous. I don't think the cancer scare has anything to do with the meds.