Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community

PCOS, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Depression

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with PCOS about two weeks ago. I've been plagued with hirsutism since I was 12 years old and I'm now 36 and I was always diagnosed with idiopathic hirsutism because my total testosterone was normal, my glucose was normal, my menstruation was very regular, I was not overweight, etc., etc. I always believed that there was something wrong and my physicians just weren't savvy enough to figure it out. Years passed and I
decided to get checked again because I've gained 30 lbs over two years (due to taking prednisone for the hives I got daily because of Hashimoto's) and the male pattern hair growth increased. I'm now 5'6" and 167lbs.

I sought the help of an endocrinologist and he ordered a lot of blood tests. I never had problems with elevated glucose and the test showed that my fasting glucose was 102, slightly elevated. My free testosterone was elevated also which explained the excessive hair on my chin, neck, chest, stomach and thighs. I haven't had problems with fertility because I have two children who were conceived with no difficulty because my periods had always been like clock work. I was surprised at the diagnosis but relieved to find out that there was a known medical term for my symptoms.

I have very bad depression and panic attacks and I've had them for 18 years now. Does anyone know if there is a link between PCOS and clinical depression? Also, is there anyone else out there with Hashimoto's thyroiditis along with PCOS. I'm going crazy with depression, hirsuitism, pelvic pain, panic attacks, excess weight, slight acne, oily skin, fatigue, etc. If anyone has these symptoms please tell me what treatment you've sought and what has helped you if anything. Thanks and good luck.
I'm very sorry that you're going through this. I have read that PCOS can be linked with depression. Plus everything else you're going through; I can understand why you feel so bad.  Talk to your doctor about the meds that would be right for you to help control the symptoms. Good luck!
Thanks for responding to my rant:-) I do have some appointments scheduled with some physicians. I'll see what they have to say but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to do a lot of research myself.
Take care.
I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2005 after not having a period for almost a year. I was diagnosed last year with hypothyroidism, and today when I went into the doctor to review my blood work we found some astonishing results that may be linked to Hashi's. In a matter of a week's time my TSH level jumped from 1.2 to 4.8. The only explanation the doctor could offer is the Hashi's, and I was tested for that today and will find out on Monday. So it is very likely that I will be in the same boat as you.

The usual treatment for PCOS is metformin to regulate insulin, and birth control to regulate hormones. My testosterone is still very high despite being on Yaz and Yasmin since 2005, so my doctors are going to put me on spironolactone. spironolactone is supposed to do wonders for acne, so you might mention it to your doctor as an avenue of treatment. Hope that helps, sorry if I rambled.
Vidu67

What caught my attention was your mention of anxiety and panic attacks. I am 41 and have had trouble with anxiety during post partum and early in my life, during my first year of menstruation. I know my anxiety is triggered by hormones and stress. I too am being treated for hypothyroidism. My sister recently told me she had been diagnosed with PCOS. I was complaining to her about my anxiety problems and my temper outbursts. I have also recently began to have moderate to severe pain on my left when ovulating. She suggested I should get evaluated for PCOS.

Anyway, I wanted you to know you are not alone. And anxiety and panic attacks are treatable with medicaiton "Ativan" is what I take. You can also learn coping skills to help deal with the anxiety. Anxiety is either genetic or caused by tramatic events. Mine is genetic and like I said brought on by hormone imbalances.

Good Luck and seek help.
Vi
I have PCOS, Hashimotos, Pituitary Tumor, Type 2 Diabetes and Depression/Anxiety.

Seems they somehow all go hand and hand. :-(  I am 30 and have always been underweight, until about a year and a half ago I began just packing on the pounds.  I am now 5'2" and 160 lbs!!!!!!

I take metformin, lexapro, cabergoline and levothyroxine.  

I have horrible uterine pain a few days through out my cycle, I have anxiety, times of dry itchy skin and other times with oily acne skin, I have new hair growth on my upper lip and chin.  My moods are all over the place and I have been struggling with anxiety for a few years.  

Best of luck. You aren't alone!
Sarah
I have Hashimoto's and PCOS. Tough combo. I feel sorry for the post who also added diabetes (all closely related) My symptoms exploded last October and I have been to doctor's and couselors 2x'a a week since then trying to get everything regulated.

The symptoms are overwhelming and constantly changing. I fist sought out medical help when the anxiety almost completely took over. My doc put me on lexapro and immediately checked my thyroid levels wich came back out of wack (over the past 6 months my TSH levels have varied between 4 to 56). The Lexapo nixed the anxiety within 4 months but the this only heighten the depression. I have been on sythroid varing from 88mcg to now being on 137 mcg. 6 more weeks then I go back for an ultrasound to check to see if the tyroid goiter is reducing and that there are not any lumps.

In short. I feel for all of you and you are not alone. Just keep trucking.

Have your doctor check for thyroid antibodoies - this will indicate an autoimmune diseas such as Hashimotos.

Lexapro + synthroid + linsopril (for high blodd pressure) is slowly begining to work for me. Doc says that she may add Welbutrin to help with the depression but is worried that it may strike up the anxiety since I had that so severe. She wants to wait until the ultasound to see if the thyroid is getting better.

I have also been taking NuvaRing for birth control for several years but am considering swithing to YAZ since it supposed to help with PCOS. I have read lots of negative post about Yaz so I am slightly hesitance since the idea of feeling any worse makes me cringe - but my doc thinks it could possibly help. Worth the risk - still in debate. I'll let you know if that works out or not.

Good luck and many blessing to everyone!