Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
PCOS after Mirena
How many of you ladies had no issues, then had the mirena, and after it was taken out you found out you had PCOS and/or premature ovarian failure?
The cause of PCOS is not properly known. There is strong evidence that it is a genetic disease. PCOS is however not caused by Mirena.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Okay, so I had the mirena inserted in he beginning of April in 2014. I have been on multiple brands of birth control pills all of which did not help me at all with the reason I was on birth control. By the end of April of 2014 I had a cyst on my right ovary that was about 6 times the size of my ovary. While on other birth controls I never had any issues or cysts. I understand that it can't be medically proven that pcos is directly caused by the mirena in my case. I still currently have the mirena and I don't plan on having it removed until I meet the five year mark in 2020. Has anyone had the mirena for the full five years and experienced pcos while still having it? Or have all the experiences with getting diagnosed been after removal?
I have already been diagnosed by a specialist. I am just trying to see if any women on here also had confirmed pcos after mirena.
I had my son in 2010 and had the mirena inserted. In about a year it was expelled. I had a small cyst that the dr noticed and removed. I then had another inserted and again, at about the one year mark it expelled. I had a really hard time losing weight after my son regardless of diet and exercise. I also had dark patches of hair in places I did not have it before. Add to that, decreased energy and just the just not feeling right. I always told my ob about these things and he dismissed them and told me to just exercise more. I changed physicians and was diagnosed with PCOS. I never had any issues prior to the mirena. I am convinces, regardless of what "studies" show, that it was the cause of the problem. Just like the Yaz was reason I had to have my completely healthy non-functioning gallbladder removed.
OMG I had my son in 2008. 6 weeks after his birth I had the Mirena inserted. Never had issues, and had it removed at the 5 year mark. I was expecting periods to resume, but they didn't. I kept mentioning it to my doctor and she just kept saying it was normal. This went on for two years. Recently because of a change in health insurance I was forced to go to a different doctors office. Going through medical history I again brought up not having regular periods. She asked me a couple questions and immediately ordered blood work. She diagnosed me with PCOS. She put me on a blood pressure medication because it was a little high. Once we got that under control she put me on Yaz. That was 4 months ago, I am now having regular periods.

The only thing that stumped my doctor was that PCOS is usually found when the woman is much younger. Mine didn't develop until sometime after my son was born. I've been wondering if the Mirena could have caused it.
I am convinced as well that the mirena caused my PCOS. I had it inserted after my first child in 2006 (I was 24 year old. After a year I was experiencing cramping and pain with intercourse so I asked my MD to remove it (2007, I was 25 y.o.). Surprisingly I got pregnant immediately. I birthed my second child in 2008 (I was 26 years old) and breastfed for 2 years (28 y.o.), never having regular (or any) periods during that time. When my periods did not return once I weaned I became concerned. I went to the doctor's and was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 28. For the past 5 years I have been struggling to find the root cause of my hormonal imbalance. I think the most likely cause is based upon "epigenetics" that somehow the chemicals I introduced into my body when I had the mirena implanted it mixed up the pathway responsible for the conversion of pregnenolone to progesterone vs. androgen
Did you have any other PCOS symptoms other than the hormone imbalance? The only thing I experience is the crazy periods and my progesterone levels are off. I'm slim, no body hair, no insulin resistance. I conceived my first child no problem. I had my mirena removed because of 20+ cysts when they did an ultrasound because of my intense cramps. When I was diagnosed with PCOS and brought up the IUD my GYN just kinda brushed it off and avoided the topic.
I had no trouble at all prior to mirena. Had my son accidentally while on the pill. Had mirena inserted a couple years after my son was born took mirena out after about 4 years. Gained 60lbs that year. Abnormal hair growth and very very irregular periods. Was diagnosed with  pcos a few years ago and now possible ovarian failure. Now one in my family has had pcos or infertility problems. I think it was because of mirena.
I had Mirena for 5.5years and approx. 3 years after having it, cysts and certain (strong) symptoms related androgen hormone instability started appear. I have had non of them before even that I have tried several birth control medicines and devices. When considering my age 37, genetic background, way of living and nutrition, I have concluded that in my case there is rather a high probability that those symptoms are correlated with Mirena.
Now I have no birth control device or any other medication and I am keeping a diary from my symptoms and mood to find out how my body (endocrinological system) responses after Mirena was removed. At least I can compare my ultrasound pic to an other which I am going to take approx. after 6 to 9 months.
During the first week after Mirena was removed I had my thyroid slightly swollen and some pain in my ovaries. I have been lustier and more focused than before. I strongly suggest that doctors should combine their endocrinology expertise with neurology and gynecology to find out side effect occurrence and correlation significance levels on different symptoms/gland activation when using hormonal birth control device and medication.
Still Mirena is a great innovation (cost-effective, practical) and has great gains, but it might have long term side effects as well and I suspect that it has not been studied enough mainly because of it's present "gain power"
I had 2 mirena's in and after 6 years of being on them I decided to have them removed to have another child. Now after 3 years I have pcos in one ovary and still have yet to have a baby. So I don't care what any Dr say I'm convinced this caused my pcos . By the way I was 19 when I had it put in and now I'm baren. This stuff is a fertility death wish.....
I had no problems until I had Mirena. Then a year after I was diagnosed with pcos. I truly believe it was caused by the Mirena but my doctor told me I am wrong.
Few years late, however, that’s exactly what happened to me. Husband and I became pregnant after only two cycles of trying. You could set your watch by my cycles. Completely normal pregnancy. Put the mirena in after the birth of my first child. Had it in for about a year and a half. Removed it to try again. Irregular cycles, terrible cramping, and two consecutive Miscarriages later, I’m now on Metformin to try to balance hormones and address my newly diagnosed PCOS. Clearly, there needs to be more research done on Mirena and those of us who suddenly developed PCOS after its removal.
My names Shanti I've never had problems until I had Marina iud ...I had it for about a year got it taken out because of sharp pains in my lower stomach.. then got diagnosed with PCOS.i really think the marina caused it. This **** ain't right ...it's incurable it's life long and you mean to tell me I have to be on meds for the easy of my life as well as with King about hair weight gain cancer and diabetes... That's unfair.... And they are getting away with it.