Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community

Recently diagnosed with PCOS

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I missed my period for two months, then was bleeding for 6 weeks. I am not sure what to do as the only symptom of PCOS I had was through my ultra sound. My menstrual cycle is pretty regular, lasts about 5 days, first day is light, next few days are normal and then it lightens up and is gone by the 5th day. I don't have heavy bleeding a tampon works fine. I am not overweight all of my blood work is perfect. I have been pregnant before naturally, so this diagnosis makes no sense to me. I eat healthy and workout and have no problem with my weight, no unexplained weight gain, etc. I thought I had a miscarriage because I fell on pavement and landed on my pelvic bone and that's when I started bleeding (my dog whacked me on the back of the knee as we were walking with his head). My ultrasound came back with what looked like pearls on my ovaries but the ultrasound tech said my history does not match with PCOS and that I may just be really fertile. My doctor called and said I do have it. ugh so aggravating. I am thinking of getting a second opinion, up until that fall I had my period was regular. I would miss the occasional period due to stress but nothing like I have read online with folks who have PCOS. :/
I completely hear your frustration. I have a 3yr old daughter and had very regular periods of a 30day cycle. In sept of 2012, I went about two or three months without a period, continued to take pregnancy test and knew something wasn't normal with my cycle. My family Dr. Brushed my concern under the rug, I decided to call my OBGN and they ran tests bloodwork and an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed tiny mature follicle (meaning I didn't ovulate) and they just sit in there and confirmed PCOS. I was thrown off by this, went for a second opinion and the diagnosis was confirmed for the second time. I can say, if I were you to get a second opinion and that way you will have more time to let it sink in. I went through two miscarriages last year, was placed on Metformin 1000 MG twice a day to help with the insulin resistance that can come with PCOS. I was also placed on Progestrone 200mg (two weeks ago) to help with my current pregnancy. Also if they don't think you are ovulating they can prescribe Clomide to help you ovulate. I will be 7wks pregnant tomorrow. I miscarried last year around 4/5 wks and 6wks. So far this pregnancy has been a healthy one. Please don't be discouraged and ask your dr or second Dr many questions. I can't begin to count how many questions I asked them and how I doubted the diagnosis. I was scared I wouldn't be able to mother another child yet know now it is possible. Best of luck to you!
Thank you for responding! I was thinking of getting a second opinion for sure just because it doesn't feel right. My OBGYN first thought it was uterine bleeding and put me on provera (medroxyprogesterone) I was supposed to take it for 10 days, but stopped. The side effects were unbearable. I was bloated, constantly feeling full, constantly thirsty, chest pains, chest tightness, all of a sudden I developed acne on my chin. I stopped taking 5 days into it and within 24 hours everything started to go back to normal and the acne was clearing up, no more chest pain, low back pain, ab pain went away, etc. The bleeding stopped a week later...during that last week it just became lighter like a normal menstrual cycle would and then went away. I have to go in for blood work this week and then she is referring me to a specialist.