Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community

Treating PCOS naturally when not overweight

My name is Kaitlin and I turn 21 in October. I was diagnosed almost a year ago with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome after noticing hair growths, having irregular to no periods, sharp pelvic pains, sugar cravings, mood swings and more. However, after being diagnosed having insulin resistance, higher male hormones, and cysts, I was told that because I am 5 ft 5 in and 120 pounds that my only choice to keep my body working is Metformin. At the time, being emotionally stunned by the whole storm of news, I agreed and have been taking 2,000 mg of Metformin daily along with Genress Fe birth control. The birth control and Metformin have been working to keep me in balance, but the Metformin gets me sick on and off in not so tolerable ways. I never imagined at 20 I would have to deal with this and the thought of, potentially, having severe fertility issues from it when I do plan on a child is heart breaking.
I just want to know, if it is possible to keep hormones and insulin in check with out all the medications/weightloss when you are not overweight?
You will want to talk to your doctor about what type of diabetes you have.  One type can be reversed through dietary changes (typically also weight loss, which probably won't be a factor if you are not overweight as you say), but you would need to stay on the insulin until then.

As for the PCOS, the only way to keep more cysts from forming is to prevent ovulation, which is why you're on the birth control (in addition to hopes of shrinking the current ones).  I don't think there's anything you can do naturally to stop that whole process.
I agree with the above poster. You shouldn't stop medication w/out first concultimg your doctor. Also,don't worry about possible fertility issues til the time comes. I found out I had PCOS after a year of TTC and I'm now on metformin and clomid. I have been responding well to the metformin and just started my first round of clomid. Hopefully I'll be preggers soon.