Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community

Update -- Met with Adolescent Medicine, Got Treatment

The diagnosis of PCOS has been confirmed. I've got all the symptoms except polycystic ovaries, which means I'm in the early stages (thank the Lord!) The doctor---a nurse practitioner named Katie---said that as far as they can tell, I don't have any cysts they can pick up on ultrasound, but they're going to do pelvic ultrasounds every few months to watch for any. She told me that we should be able to hold off the cysts for a while with medication because of how early we caught it. According to the ultrasounds and looking over history---and whatever else it is they do in reverse pathology---I've only had PCOS for about 6 months before my GI caught it.

I met with the dietition this clinic offers, Kendall, after. Part of the treatment for my PCOS is going to be losing 10% of my body weight, which should be regulate periods and help with the insulin. I am on a diet that is low-carb, low-fat, and high-fiber. I've been told to eat more fruits and veggies in replacement for what I'm losing so I get "good" everything, instead of the "bad". I've also got to measure everything I eat now, not just grains and meat like I was doing before. This dietition is a lot better than the last one I saw, by far. She's much more flexible and realistic with my schedule, and her diet isn't one that is impossible to stick to. It's common sense, really, and changes that I can keep up long term without hurting myself. The old dietition really didn't listen too well---she was very focused on having to stick to her plan for EVERYTHING and if there was one little slip, you wouldn't see results. That's just not realistic. Am I supposed to not eat at all because the meal you set out that day isn't on my schedule? No, that doesn't work. But Kendall's plan is a lot better.

I have to add another hour to my exercise every day. I chose Saturday, when no one in my house is around and I have time to work out in the morning, take a shower, and make myself breakfast before we have to run our errans for the week.

On top of this, I'm on a birth control pill call Provera (10mg). I'm supposed to take the pill once a day for ten days, stop, and I should get a period within a few days of stopping. Then, I have to repeat this cycle starting on the exact same day next month. I've got it marked for myself on the calander for this month and next month. Basically, I have to artificially make my body have a menstrual cycle because my body just won't do it on its own.

I have to go back to the doctor in three weeks. They're going to go over blood work (hormones, A1C, the works) and talk about how the diet is working. I won't see dramatic weight loss in three weeks (or I would hope not, that would be scary) but we're hoping for about three pounds lost just by changing diet alone. I also have to check in with Katie to make sure the pills are working right. Provera doesn't always work the first month, but we have to watch it because if it doesn't work the second month then I have to go on stronger birth control to make sure I do get periods.

I'm not on the Metforam yet because we don't know if its needed. My mom really doesn't want me on that or the stronger birth control. The Metforum apparently makes my aunt really sick (I knew she was on it, but not the side-effects) and my mom took the same pill they're going to want me on if Provera doesn't work, but it made her crazy. I don't usually have weird drug reactions like that, so I am still open to trying it if these two months don't go the way they're supposed to. I'm putting my foot down this time around. So what, I throw up a little bit, or I'm a little more emotional? Who cares? As long as I'm getting better, I don't care about the side-effects. I've read the pamphlets and I'm not at risk for any of the crazy stuff like heart attacks or strokes, so I don't see a reason to stay off it. I'll listen to my mom's concerns, of course, but she's not going to shape the way I treat my PCOS. Its my body. Not hers.

I'll keep everyone posted on how the next appointment goes and what we're going to be doing.

~ Em
RE:  On top of this, I'm on a birth control pill call Provera (10mg).

PROVERA IS NOT A BIRTH CONTROL

Provera is used to treat abnormal menstruation (periods) or irregular vaginal bleeding. Medroxyprogesterone is also used to bring on a normal menstrual cycle in women who menstruated normally in the past but have not menstruated for at least 6 months and who are not pregnant or undergoing menopause (change of life). Medroxyprogesterone is also used to prevent overgrowth of the lining of the uterus (womb) and may decrease the risk of cancer of the uterus in patients who are taking estrogen. Medroxyprogesterone is in a class of medications called progestins. It works by stopping the growth of the lining of the uterus and by causing the uterus to produce certain hormones.

Right now I take progesterone days 1-14 of each month for 6 months...I take it so I can shed my uterine lining and hopefully reverse the precancerous cells that I have (could turn to endometrial cancer)  This is what happens when you go a really long time without having your period!  If you have PCOS you need to loose weight, take progesterone to get your period or if you are not wanting to get pregnant any time soon, get on a birth control pill.  the BCP with help regulate you and cause you to have your period every month!

I am also taking metformin but I have had PCOS for 16 years (im 31) and I am currently doing the atkins low carb diet (2 weeks so far) and have lost 7 lbs

Good luck
-Lynn-