A
A
A
Close
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
3.56k Members
1432700 tn?1283377350

pcos and actually pregnant?

I was just wondering how many of you got pregnant while you had pcos. was it natural or was it with fertility drugs? was your pregnancy normal, or did you have a lot of complications? if so, what were the complications? when i was diagnosed with pcos (8 years ago) my gyno told me nothing except "you'll never have kids" that has been my worst nightmare since. i just want to here positive, or even not so positive stories.
17 Responses
I got pregnant with PCOS.  Got pregnant on accident - no meds, no nothing.  I had lost some weight and finally had regular cycles again, but didn't worry about taking precautions as I was told I wouldn't be able to conceive.  Four months into having regular cycles, I conceived again (my doctor seemed a touch surprised).  I was 35/36 years old during the pregnancy, ended up with gestational diabetes - but that runs in my family.  The only real trouble was making it through the first 12 weeks.  It was nerve wracking because women with PCOS have about a 50/50 chance of miscarrying before 12 weeks.  After 12 weeks, the miscarriage rate drops to that of "normal" women.  So, we kept the pregnancy quiet for the first 3 months.  Moral of the story - don't be too sure your doctor is right.  Tons of women with PCOS have had babies.  For some it takes a lot of effort.  For others, not so much.
Hi I had to have ovarian drilling to remove all my cysts, Then we did 5 rounds of injectable drugs with IUI I got pregnant on the 5th round.  I'm currently 10 weeks :).  I agree with myenzoorka these 10 weeks have been so nerve wrecking.  I over analyze everything thinking I might loose the baby.  So far my only issues were normal pregnancy stuff, nausea, vomiting, fatigue.  I am also taking metformin, baby aspirin and prometrium and have to continue all three until 13 weeks.  I had two doctors that told me I would never get pregnant :).  It's possible just don't loose hope :).  
1432700 tn?1283377350
yay for you and your babies! <3
I have a healthy 7-year-old, conceived naturally (despite dr's warning that it wouldn't happen). I went into labour 9 weeks pre-term, which I understand might be related to PCOS, but other than that we haven't had any problems.

Now trying for #2, I have much higher hopes, but must admit it's frustrating when cycles are irregular. Charting really helps keep hpt costs down :)

Best of luck! Hopefully we'll both be pregnant soon.
1432700 tn?1283377350
good luck to you too sweetie! i really need to learn about charting. but i don't want to be so focused on this i don't focus on anything else. its already becoming that. lol
594189 tn?1386920207
I am 25 weeks pregnant with pcos, i was taking metformin(diabetic med) to keep my insulin level down plus i lost like 60 pounds before getting pregnant, it took 18 months on metformin and losing weight at the beginning of that than i got pregnant. With no other meds. I did have to take progesterone during the beginning of the pregnancy so I would not lose the baby. I took the progesterone till the second trimester started.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.