Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community

what provera (medroxyprogesterone) do to your breast?

Ive been on medroxyprogesterone for a wk already to hopefully regulate my period but my breast are very sore. I havent felt this soreness since i was pregnant. I know the soreness is normal but I also feel like my breast feel n look bigger. I barely fit a size 34b for over 3 yrs or so n now it fits a lil tight. Is this normal? Are my breast getting bigger? Does my age have something to do with it (20years old).
HI,
Medroxyprogesterone is known to cause breast tenderness. Also in animal studies it has been implicated for breast tumours. Hence as you are having symptoms it is necessary that you consult your Doctor for an examination and possible discontinue the drug.
Take care and good luck.
I'm so sorry you are feeling this. I had the same problem. In my case I had TERRIBLE breast pains. To the point where I was in tears for weeks. I had bad cramps on top of it. There is another type you can take, so if you need to take it again tell you Dr (like I did) and they'll give you the other stuff. With the stuff that made me hurt it took over a month to get my period, and I had those pains the whole time. With the others stuff I had no pains and my period within a couple days.

Good luck with everything!

i also took provera and i got the breast tenderness and thought i was losing my mind it hurt so bad!!! hang in there, hopefully it will get better!!!!!!!

Baby dust to all!
This is normal as it causes your breast to grow.  Progesterone is a hormone found in girls before they menstruate, or during pregnancy.  
Hi ladies,

I just wanted to add to this thread here, my practicioner had also perscribed me to take medroxyprogesterone for 10 days to help regulate my cycle, and amongst it doing its job I am also a 34b and have also noticed breast tenderness and swelling with it but i am assuming it was to be expected after my practicioner explained the effects of the drug to me.

However my doctor could have told me that my breasts might become aggrevatingly sore, so annoying when you cant get comfy while sleepy no matter what way you sleep and even more annoying while wearing a sprotsbra :-(
To resolve sleeping issues I found hugging a stuffed animal, while laying on my side helps. It gives it comfort to rest my breast on.
This is my first time taking provera im on day 6 and my breast just started becoming sore two days ago but my breast got bigger before i started taking provera and ive been hot all the time and hungry a lot more lately, can provera cause this to happen or could i be pregnant? Ive only been three weeks late but i am now 10 weeks late for the first time.
Any type of hormone medication causes hunger.