Likelihood of Positive Outcome for Pregnancy after 45

I'm a 47 year old woman, and possibly pregnant.  I was not trying to become pregnant and am somewhat surprised.  I had planned to look into getting my tubes tied in January with my husband's new insurance.  I am very much aware of increased risks, chance of Down Syndrome, miscarriage, etc.  Most of the information I have read on pregnancy at my age is negative.  I also knew a mother who became pregnant at age 46 or 47, found out the child had Down Syndrome and aborted at 5 or 6 months.  The chances of naturally becoming pregnant are near zero, and there's a substantial chance of having a deformed, chromosomally abnormal fetus (with 2 heads or something weird), 90% of my eggs are now "damaged goods", etc.  I take good care of my health and am at a reasonable weight (140), plus women on my mother's side of the family go into menopause near age 60.  I've read these factors are a plus for my age.  

Where are the success stories?   I can't even find any statistics on the chances of naturally becoming pregnant at my age.  Is it really that rare?   The information out there makes me feel like some freak.   Can someone PLEASE give me  some encouraging news?
I am 45 and thinking about TTC.  I have 2 children, a bio son that I had at age 22, and a little girl with Down syndrome that we adopted.  We are planning to adopt another child but an older child, and we would really love another baby.  Anyone ever heard of agnus castus?  Is it supposed to help you conceive better?
This was brutally inappropriate in a forum where women have YET to be fortunate enough to become a mother.... WRONG place, HORRID choose of words...
i just turned 45 and now im am 5 weeks pregnant i have 3 children 24 22 and 17 they dont seem to enthused when i talk about wanting another baby. I told my partner i was pregnant he has taken it very hard he has no kids and doesnt want any at this point in life. I am scared i worry what my family and coworkers will think i was happy till i shared the news with my boyfriend he has gone into a depression and looks at me with angry eyes i feel sad and really scared
Wow, it's tough, kids are tough, I'm 47 and although I tried to get pg since I was 43 (again) my oldest daughter was angry at me. I finally got pg with the help of DEggs at 46 and I'm currently 14 weeks will be 48 when this one is born. She came around the day my baby was born. I'm sorry your bf isn't supportive, I'm lucky my new DH is wonerful but for 10 years he told me I don't want children. He will come around! Once he sees his baby it will change him!!!!! I pray it works out for you .
Melanie
I am in the same position as you. Our first surprise pregnancy happened at at 45. Just found out today. we have six children ages 4-16. I thought we were moving on to the next stage of our lives and am having a hard time with this news. How are you doing 4 years later?
Hello!Roxanne please dont feel bad children are a blessing from GOD!you do what's best for you and you pray about your hubbys feeling things wl turn around.As for everybody else like freinds and coworkers who cares about what they think if GOD didn't intend for you to have this child then it would be.your hubby will come around as soon as he see That beautiful lil face.I really wish I was you if been trying to conceive for a yr and a half since losing my baby last year and me and my fiance haven't been so fortunate yet we are still trying! Have your baby love your baby dont do something you will regret please you have a chance.And were still trying and it really hurts.blessing to you and your family!ladyd
I am new to this site but enjoyed reading so many of the posts so I decided to join.  I am a mother of 3 my youngest being 11 yrs old.  I am going to be 49 in May and I just found out that I am pregnant.  I conceived naturally and I am almost 7 weeks along. I am still in shock as this was not planned. My boyfriend is 15 yrs my junior and he already has 4 kids. Neither one of us ever figured on having any more.  I had my first appointment with my Ob and although she has warned me of all the risks involved and has assessed me as high risk and one of her most difficult cases...she also offered congratulations and a huge smile for me.  So far...I have yet to take blood test to determine levels and the following first ultrasound.   I am aware that the first 10-12 weeks are the most common for miscarriage and am prepared for this. I guess  I am taking a.. wait and see.. one day at a time attitude.  Or maybe it's just the shock. When your life plan is suddenly altered it always takes some time to adjust.    I will follow up with high risk for their consult and do all genetic testing necessary.  I am leaving it in God's hands. With his help and good medical care I am hoping for a healthy baby.  I just have to get past this shock.
I know you must be shocked...I am 44 and have a 3 month old beautiful girl...I was shocked never thinking I was pregnant or ever planning. She was my first child and love her more and more each day. Just want to tell women out there that it is possible to get pregnant naturally in your forties! I never went for treatment of any kind to try and conceive..my sister did and then gave up in her forties and then got pregnant naturally and now has a very smart young boy! Don't give up hope if it was meant to be, it will happen!
I'm 44 and have a 4 month old girl...had a child at 39, 40, 42 and obviously 44.. Everytime was a challenge because of how my age is viewed but I have 4 healthy children, what if I gave in to societal views? I'm thinking of a fifth but at this point even my doctor tells me I could die giving birth at downs is 1in 4 at my age.....my husband really wants me to try again but is leaving the decision to me.....
How are things working out for you? I am 45 and am 8 weeks today.  I am in total denial and preparing myself for a miscarriage although my levels are very high.  I will go to the doctor in 2 weeks.  I am "due" with this baby 20 years to the day that I had my first (who is in college) Crazy! I want to do God's will, so I know He will keep me strong whatever the outcome.
I sincerely hope all is well with you. :)
I am 45 and pregnant, lost all previous ones in miscarriage from ages 35 on, all for different reasons.  This was an accidental pregnancy.  I had given up.  I did do a detox recently, then got pregnant straight  away.  I am concerned, but my husband thinks this is our "baby" opportunity provided by God and everything will go well.  I pray that all will go well.  Hope all goes well for all other women too.  We can only keep ourselves as healthy as possible and wait and see.  I have only told my parent as I expect negative comments and fear tactics from women I know.  My father's side of the family tend to live over 95, and I hope I follow that trend.  My mum was pregnant at 45.  The doctor told me that what chromosomal combinations you get are largely due to luck, regardless of age, and not to worry, because a good pregnancy will last.  A friend told me her sister gave up on getting pregnant and 3 months later was pregnant at 37. Pregnancy can happen, after 40, but maybe it is harder because we are more stressed at 40 than at 20.
I am new to this site.  I was surprised to see so many having babies at late ages.  I had one at 40 and one at 44.  They are both very healthy, and feel so blessed.  We were done.  We have a boy and a girl.  I am late.  I am hoping I am beginning my change in life.  My husband and I don't want another baby and especially a sick child.  I have to just put this in God's hands.  How are you?  
Iam 46. I lost my first child a son six months back, he was 24.  My second child is 20. Still not out of grieving, Our whole family is devastated.  Is there any chance of me getting a normal healthy baby with my own eggs, my tubes are sterilized, I need to opt for ivf method I guess.  Pls give me suggestions
My heart is aching for you. I am so sorry for your loss. I have a 20 and 17 year old son's and my world would crumble if anything happened to either of them.
As much as you want a baby, this will never replace your lost son. You need to make sure that if you want a baby, it is for the right reasons. You are going to grieve for a very long time and will never get over loosing your son. I wish you every bit of strength and love to move forward in your life. If you are lucky enough to be blessed again, I hope it helps to close your broken heart. If this doesn't happen count the everyday you had with your first son as a blessing that you had for 24 years. Wishing you peace. x
Your partner's age is as important as yours in whether or not you get pregnant. Men have lost 65% of their fertility by age 45 and ivf treatments are less successful if the man is over 45. You are also 5x more likely to have a  miscarriage if your partner is over 40 and 10x more likely if he is over 50.

Actually, your partner's age is more important when considering possible illnesses your child may get. Men in their 40s and 50s are 10-20x more likely to have a child with several different illnesses, everything from autism to downs syndrome to schizophrenia. One in four cases of schizophrenia is now connected to men in their 40s having children.

Unfortunately, most of the recent studies discussing male fertility and aging have been largely ignored by the media and, apparently. by many doctors as well.
I was 42 when I became pregnant with my son.  So everyone knows that you are high risk at that point.  The real kicker was that the year before I had a TIA stroke in the fine motor skills part of my brain.  I completely recovered from that only to find out that I did not have the flu.  I truly believe that you get more advanced care when you are expecting a child at an advanced age.  I did have some rather extreme high blood pressure during the end of my pregnancy.  If they tell you bed rest that is exactly want they mean.  I worked full time (60+) hours a week and had a business to run.  So the bed rest was a little hard for me to follow.  One of the best thing to get you to follow those orders is a trip to the state medical center and stay till they deliver your child. They set the ground rule for bed rest.  My son was born Via Cesarian section at 34 weeks and 4 days.  The magic number is 34 weeks.  He weighted 3.7 lbs and was non responsive which was resolved quickly.  He stayed 30 days in the NICU and come home with nothing but formula.  Today he is 18 months old and you would never know he had a small beginning.  I'm now 45 and  I go to the doctor in 2 weeks I do believe that we may have another on the way.  We tried for 10 years and nothing happened the all the sudden with no type of help  (SURPRISE) a baby boy is born.  And hopefully another child is on the way.
I am 45,and I have just discovered that I am pregnant.Just shocking for me.I am sitting and crying,but my husband is so happy,this is going to be our second child.Really,really shocking.I don't know what to do?
I got pregnant naturally at 45 and will be 46 when i deliver.  This is my first pregnancy,  I have PCOS and was told since I was 13 that children were not possible.  I turned 46 when i was 7 weeks pregnant and I am currently 25 weeks pregnant.   I have had 2 toes amputated ...one at 4 weeks pregnant and the other at 15 weeks pregnant due to my diabetes.  I am doing well and no issues with my pregnancy.  My blood sugars are under control and i am being closely watched by my doctors.  they are pleased with my progress and are anticipating a normal birth the first week of December 2014.  It is possible.  And i consider this my miracle baby.  I am having a boy and looking forward to it.
I am 46 and will deliver at 47... Currently 25 weeks pregnant.. Due February 2015.   Naturally... No medical intervention. So it is possible. Don't give up hope.....

Was actively TTC , a FTM and having a girl !
Good luck , wishing you well .
I am 7 weeks pregnant and 45 . Total surprise ! Found out 2 weeks ago after having 5 glasses of wine! Shock !! Was last pregnant at 40 , 5 years ago and miscarried , so thought that was it for me . I have a 10 year old son and a 12 year daughter who would be thrilled , more then my husband mind you who thinks we have enough on our plate , both self employed and stressed out most of the time feeling time starved constantly .
Had a scan this week , told my fibroid had grown to 7.5 cm and is on the lining of my womb -and not sure how this will affect my pregnancy ! Been petrified by all the negativity, my drinks when not knowing I was pregnant,  risks about have a baby at my age , although I am also excited at the prospect but to frightened to get too happy about it just in case it goes !!! Anyone with a similar experience and what was the outcome ???? Many thanks for sharing !
I'm 45 and just found out I am pregnant. It was not planned. I'm still in shock and keep catching myself shaking my head.  Is this true, didn't even think it was possible.   I have a 23 year, 21 year old and 7 year old, all girls.  After the 7 year old I had 3 miscarriages. So we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  The kicker is my oldest is engaged and she has set her wedding date which conveniently is now the week I'm due assuming I go full term.  We aren't planning on it, but the stress of it all is crazy.  I'm either going to be a roley poley pudge muffin at my daughter's wedding if I'm even able to be there or I'm going to lose my 4th child.
Hello Shannon,

Your story sounds exactly like mine.  If I am pregnant, I'm 2 and a half weeks.
I could really use a friend to talk to...

Lisa
Congratulations to you both...Shannon and Lisa.  I pray that everything works out for you both! :)
Just wondered how things turned out?  I have two children, one born at 36 one at 39.  now wondering about trying for a third child.... but i turn 46 this year.....
Thanks for this post and comments. I'm so surprised and excited to be pregnant at 45, scared as well. But I'm not sure if I can keep it? My bf is 54 with a grandson and says he doesn't want the baby. I have two teenage children from my deceased husband and if I go it alone that's 3 kids to raise by myself. So confused on what to do. If my bf would be on board I wouldn't think twice, any ideas how I can convince him?

Good luck to all the soon to be and trying to be mamas out here. I have several friends my age who are pg or had babies recently and they were all unplanned, completely healthy, and totally beloved, so please don't give up if that's what you want.
Be realistic, like your bf.  He has said he doesn't want a baby. Like most men his age, he will not want new financial responsibility and will want to be able to spend time doing things for himself.  What sort of father and grandfather is he already? Is he supportive and engaged?  Does he welcome family responsibility or avoid it or even resent it? Even if you manage to "convince" him, the fact that it was not something he wanted will always be there. You will have to proceed on the basis that you are doing it alone and not expect anything from him otherwise you will be perpetually disappointed and maybe end up resentful too.  Anything he chooses to give will just be a "bonus". A reluctant father can be a lifelong source of profound sadness for the mother and the child, no matter how much joy you feel at the idea of a baby.
Your post puts everything into 'reality' perspective.  Thank you.
hi your the first person i have come across closer to 50
Iam 48 never been pregnant now met lovely man and would both love to have a baby have regular periods but not expecting much and even if i concieved would i carry to full term or even have a healthy baby its a nightmare
I am 45 and 7 months pregnant.  Totally natural and total surprise.  I had two miscarriages since my last child was born (he is now 7).  I read all the statistics and did all the online research and just assumed I was too old.  And then this.  Every day for the first 12 weeks, I waited for the miscarriage- because that's what the statistics said.   Well they were wrong.  I drink coffee, eat sweets and don't always take my vitamins- I am not superwoman.  But this baby is healthy and kicking away.  I guess science doesn't have all the answers
Amazing.  Are you doing well?
Hi. How did it all turn out? Im 46.5 and found out I'm pregnant 4 weeks. I am so stressed and freaked out. I can't eat or sleep. I know the rates of everything that may happen and Im so nervous it's incapacitating. Was told 5.5 years ago that I had no viable eggs. Accepted it completely.This pregnancy was the shock of my life, all happened naturally.  I don't see this ending well. My bf, is the love of my life and he would be completely heartbroken if I terminated. I also believe that he wouldn't be able to stay in the relationship if I did that. Too hurt. would think I gave up too quickly. Im trying to figure out what to do for me and its excruciating. I hate to say this but Im hoping for an early miscarriage because it would get me off the hook and save my relationship that is so important to me. I have a throat disorder ,am a singer and it affects my job. I get constant viruses from this and its damaging my throat very much.I have a treatment plan and probable cure that i obtained from traveling to a leading specialist far away. I paid out of pocket for the care and it was the best thing I ever did. I had to go off the very important medication after only a week. Because of this disease I have it sets me up for another possible year of terribly sore throats, upper respiratory infections, coughing and clearing my throat with enormous amounts of damaging phlegm. Another year filled with illness. When Im actually looking at the treatment plan right in front of me, but can't take it, it's heartbreaking. No one seems to understand the fear and pain I feel. I want children, I would definitely try and have this baby, but I feel the risk is too high here. I was going to go the Foster route and was happy about that. So was my boyfriend. A small part of me thinks that this is so unlikely there must be a reason it happened to me. But why me? why now? At the very tale end of my childbearing years? Its feels like a cruel joke being played on me. My greatest feeling is that I'm unlucky and I can't manage the emotions. I have to go back to work soon and I don't think I'll be able to work in this state.Someone please help me with some sound advice. I feel like the stress is going to ruin me. There is a lot at stake for my life.
This is a really old post.  Most likely, these people are no longer active.  You may want to start a new post.  
I hope you find peace in what ever decision you decide.
I can tell you my twins were born when I was 45...best day ever!!!  Good luck to you!  
Hi just reading through older posts on here ... did everything turn out ok for you ?

Im going to be 45 in a few weeks and am still hoping for my first child after 3 miscarriages.

Alecia
I'm 49 years old and don't want to give up on the idea of having a child.  I thought I would be able to accept being childless but I realise that I am getting more depressed and bitter.  What should I do?  I need some advice.

mhv
Rrit would depend on what you are "Open to"...there are donor eggs, and there are donor or adopted embryos.  My twins were born from donor embryos. They were born when is was 45.  
Congratulation!!!

Such great news I am 45 my Husband and I are trying we have 1 child age 13
it was a big scare for me and I didn't want another.But we just start thinking about it last year, and just start trying about 3-4 months now, no luck yet. But I do believe that we will get pregnant. Be positive, eat healthy exercise, and let God do the rest
Hello ladies just wanted to easy so of the issues here. I'm 47 an found out I'm pregnant.  Yes there are high risks but if you just relax and don't exert yourself you can have a healthy baby. I have 6 kids and the last 2 we're  high risk. I had placenta previa an pre-eclampsia an was told I could die giving birth. Well glad to say I had a healthy little girl who is 4. She was born 8 weeks early but healthy.  God will always protect a baby. If a mother is not cautious or careful about her health during pregnancy things can go wrong. So I highly recommend that if your doctor tells you bed rest you take it seriously an stay in bed. If your a high risk like I am, you have to watch what you eat, what you do an how you do things. All in all, just relax and not stress about all the negative things you hear or read but focus on the good stuff, like enjoying your new baby. I'm still in the beginning of my 8 weeks but I know all will be OK if I just relax and do want needs to be done for this baby to be healthy. Happy holidays ladies and a happy New year.
I'm 45 and just found out on New year's eve that I'm pregnant. I wasn't expecting it but I am thrilled to have the privilege of having a little baby in my arms again. I am eating healthy and taking organic prenatal vitamins. I know God is in control and I choose to trust He knows best. I also have uterine fibroids (one is the size of an orange)
Hi. Congratulations!! I hope you and the baby are doing well. I'm 45 and 5 weeks, and I also have fibroids. How are you and the baby doing?
I bless God Almighty for your life. I am 47 and still trying. I will appreciate any tips that might help. I will like to get in touch with you via email if you don't mind.
what may you go to the dr to see if you were pregnant... I am 45 and my body has been doing weird things.  Ive been having my monthly but lately during my ovulations I hve been spotting.  I just havent been feeling well.  Were you gaining weight?  
I am 44 turning 45. I already have three older children 16,14, & 12. My boyfriend is 11 years younger than me. We are planning to get married. He wants children at least 1 or 2 I had doubts initially  because  I am a lot older and that it will be harder to conceive.  He has no issue with me being older and he believes that I can conceive.  I do want to give him at least two children. Finding this page has given me hope and that I am not the only one who is older going through it.
I hope all works out for you and don't give up it can happen - I gave birth at 41 to a healthy girl who is now about to turn 4 I have had 4 miscarriages since age 42 my last being last week I had 2 scans at 9 weeks and 11 weeks and saw baby doing well I got excited that it was going to happen for heart to stop at 12 weeks I have just miscarried and it was horrendous I saw baby and flushed it down toilet before passing out I didn't know what I was doing and now feel so traumatised and guilty about what I did but wasn't thinking straight I got pregnant naturally at 45 so it can and does happen I would love another but couldn't put myself through this again as feel after four in a row my eggs are probably never going to be good enough - but it does and can happen as I to have read about people having healthy babies older than me so if it's what you really want don't give up it can and will happen and I wish you all happy healthy pregnancies and babies and wish I could feel like that too but at the minute everything is a bit raw and I'm soo sad for my baby that I lost - good luck everyone xx
I just turned 52 and I may be pregnant. last year i was tested and found that we had a good chance even if it was a slim chance of being able to conceive on our own so i had a tubal reversal last may so we could try to conceive on our own. I had my period for 7 days in middle of feb. and have not had it back since. Since then i have gained weight, been nausea and vomiting, frequent urination, headaches, constipation and, tired moody,  constipated and my belly feels bloated. All the signs of early pregnancy right? Anyone else here have similar symptoms? Am I pregnant or is it menopause cause we have been try to conceive so maybe???
I am 52 and I just did a pregnancy test and it came out positive!! Were excited and scared as heck and we conceived naturally.
Hello... Did you do anything to prepare for pregnancy (extra vitamins/hormones etc?)
yes I been taking prenatal vitamins for over a year and used Maac, evening primrose oil and vitex also for approx. same amount of time. Were just waiting on blood test for confirmation.
Hi Laureeng, could you update me on your status? Were you able to carry the baby to term?
I am 4 months away from my 46 birthday. I always wanted more children. I already have 2 , 1 who is 24, another who is 14. I often say God only blessed me with two. I have never taken any birth control but I have only had one miscarriage 4 years ago. I have been married for 6 years and  I have been with my husband for about 20 years. I have taken 3 test and the Dr has confirmed I'm pregnant.
I'm worried about the risk that are ahead. The Dr. told me that it gets worse at 40 and I'm way pass that. He also warned me about the genetic testing which are very invasive and he said can be harmful to the fetus. My only health concerns are that I am overweight and have a few fibroids. My husband is supportive but I'm at this moment trying to take it all in. I am now 6 weeks and counting...
Anyone who  already had their baby  and conceived naturally even though I know we are all different, please reply.
I had a healthy baby girl at 44 1/2. My water did break prematurely at 36 weeks, but she was completely healthy and did not need any extra oxygen or extra care at all. She nursed wonderfully too!!!  It was a natural conception. She is wonderful!!! All praise to the Lord Jesus!!!
I will be 4 months from 46 when I deliver my 9th child. I had a little girl (with DS) at 41, and another healthy girl at 43. There's definitely and difference in energy levels between being pregnant in your 40's vs the 20's or 30's but besides a bit of blood pressure issues all has gone just fine. Try not to stress and worry too much. Enjoy this time, it goes so fast! Yes, children bring work but also incredible richness and joy to our lives!
I had just turn 44 in November 2015 and got pregnant in March 2016. I was surprised because I thought my biological clock had ran out and plus I have fibroids. At my first Ob visit, I was told All the issues/downside I could encounter of having a baby at my age.The only problem I had was developing carpal tunnel. Well I can attest you can have a fullterm pregnancy and a healthy baby. We had a baby girl December 2016 and she is my second child. My oldest son is 25. Stay positive,eat healthy and good luck!
My friend thought she was going thru menopause at 48 but instead was told she was pregnant. Her baby was born prefectly healthy. Not everyone's situation is the same and no two bodies are the same. In saying that, my cousin was told that she her baby has  downs syndrome and strongly recommended to abort.she didn't and so glad she didn't as her baby girl was normal and healthy
Normal....is a really horrible word to use when talking about special needs children...
I adopted a special needs baby with multiple health problems..im never offended when people use the term "normal" because often its the easiest term to use when describing a healthy baby...I find the term "special needs" endearing because it tells me that though my baby's needs are exceptional, God chose a special person like me, to care for His special...All I want is a big ole crown when I get to heaven and to see my baby smile every day we have her here!
Unfortunately you will only read how disastrous it is to be pregnant over 35 on the internet. And most docs are not helpful.   Had my first at 42 and am pregnant with twins that will be born at 45.  They have me listed at geriatric high risk.   But that doesn't mean its true. So try to focus on the fact that you can havea happy healthy pregnancy and baby at your age.
Congrats!!
Hi, congrats. Unfortunately I can't be of much use, as I know only stories of conceiving using ivf with pgs ngs to have a healthy child. I would recommend seeing yr doc to discuss yr issues. Good luck
Hello am Jenny 45 years old. My husband is 57 years. We are trying to get pregnant. Thanks for all the encouraging posts. It gives me hope to read all these successful and wonderful stories and I will keep trying.God bless