Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

24 Weeks Pregnant and Placenta Previa

Hi All,

I'm 24 weeks pregnant today and I was diagnosed with partial placenta previa at 11 weeks.  I'm seeing both my regular OB and a perinatologist and they were both very hopeful that it would move up as the uterus started to grow more (said it had a 90% chance of moving up).  However, at my 22 week ultrasound it still had not moved up at all.  I had another ultrasound this week and again it still hasn't moved up.  My OB told me this week that if it doesn't move up, they will schedule me for a c-section at 37 weeks.  I can live with this and am even looking at the posiitves of having an early c-section...I know exactly what day he is coming and I get to meet my little man in person earlier!  I am scheduled for another scan at 28 weeks and they will probably know more at that time.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has experienced something similar and had the placenta move up and out of the way after 24 weeks?  
I'm 24 weeks today too. Not having ur problem but I am having a csection as well. Good luck
Thanks for your reply:-)

I'm kind of just planning on the c-section at this point.  I could kind of tell by the way my OB was talking that she doesn't have a ton of hope that its going to move up enough to have a vaginal birth.  Oh well...someone told me yesterday that babies are prettier when they are borm via c-section so one more thing to add to the "positives" column:-)
Ahhh...I'm 37 weeks now and would LOVE to be able to deliver at this point! You'll get to skip the final miserable stuff now that seems to really be setting in now LOL! I'm jealous! As I'm pretty terrified of having a vaginal birth in general, I'd sort of prefer a c-section, truth be told. My doc does not seem to think that will be in the cards for me, BUT because I've had bad iron issues for a while, I've been told I ought to be prepared to have a non-medicated birth unless my levels miraculously rise. I was really counting on that needle! Good luck!
Thanks Jennie!  There's positives to everything.  I'm sorry about the non-medicated birth.  I'll say an extra prayers tat your iron levels go back up and you can have the epidural!  I know if I am able to end up going the vaginal route, I'll be all about the epidural!  
My pregnancy for my little girl resulted in placenta privia and my placenta did not move. It just layed there thus my OB put me on complete bedrest due to the occurance of spotting blood. She was born completely natural with help of some meds. So I am not quite sure why your doc is just opting for the c-section.
Jennie, If you walk it helps with an easier delivery when having no medication. It may help you to absorb iron easier when you consume foods high in iron along with foods high in vitamin C. When a person is anemic at times the reason is because of low vitamin C as well. Try having a combo of fruits and veggies instead of a meat product, they are easier for your body to obsorb. However,vaginal birth at first seems to be scary for all of us. Honestly, after the pain of delivering is gone, its all forgotten with the presents of your baby in your arms.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.