Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

6 week ultrasound

Went to the dr. for the 1st time last week. I had an ultrasound. They seen the baby, but not the  heart rate.
Is it ok not to see it at that stage? Just too early? Cause for concern? The dr. said maybe I  'ovulated later than he thought', & that he didn't see any other 'cause for concern'. Still I am VERY worried. I am almost 43, have an existing
thyroid condition(on levoxyl for several yrs) & this is my 5th baby.(the other 4 are all grown)
I am scheduled for another u/s in 1 week. Hoping someone has had a similar experience??
2 questions, did your own Dr perform the ultrasound and was it pelvic ultrasound or vaginal ultrasound?.
How and who performs the u/s can matter very much at your early date.
Please try not to worry, early pregnancy is a wait and see game for everyone.  One week they do not see anything and the next week there can be a fetus with a strong heartbeat!
I wish you good luck on your next u/s!
Lisa
Agree with Lisa and if he saw the sac and maybe a fetal pole then HB might be next week.
Thanks! Never had one done so early & not sure the difference in the 2 ways you mention.
It was vaginal - I think. She inserted a long wand type thing.
1st time to a new ob dr. - he did the u/s on a small machine - nothing.
Then a u/s tech did it on a MUCH larger machine - getting a pic, but no hb.  
Dont worry.   You already went from seeing nothing to seeing a baby just by changing the machine.  
Next week you should see the Heartbeat!
Good luck.
Lisa
I agree with the others. The heartbeat is usually detected at some point during the 6th week, so if you were 6 weeks exactly, it was probably just too early. You'll see it next week :-)
Ditto what the others said.  The hb usually starts anywhere from 51/2 to 6 1/2 weeks.  Things happen so quickly at this stage that just a few days can make a difference.  THere is no way to predict the exact day of conception, even if you just had intercourse once.  Also, implantation can take anywhere from a few days to a week, so that can impact things as well.  At 6 weeks I wouldn't worry to much, especially if they saw the fetal pole.  That's a great sign that your little bean is growing.  Next week I bet you see that heartbeat!!  Good luck!!!!
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.