If you are not dilating at all, effacing and go for an induction, it is highly likely you will end up with a c/s. That is not fun, believe me. If you can avoid it, you should. Going a week over your due date is not that uncommon, or unsafe. Your baby may need just a few days longer than the average. Three weeks late, yes, you should get that baby out, but c/s are painful, and if you are planning another baby, there are risks if you had c/s the first time. I ended up with a uterine rupture in my second pregnancy. You don't want to add those risks if you don't need to! Give yourself and your baby just a teeny bit of time, she'll be here before you know it!!!! Good luck!
Oh man, i am sorry you didn't have good luck with yours! I'm pretty open for c-sections. My mother had one with me, and lots of my friends have had those. I've had a couple of surgeries in the past, so im not afraid of pain. If i ever end up with a c-s with this one for whatever reason, i will not risk having a VBAC on my second....
Definitely! 3 weeks late is just not right!!!!!!! hell no! i would not go that far! I'm willing to wait a couple of days after my due date... but not a week... it really freaks me out... I don't mind being pregnant, in fact I love it! it's about her running out of oxigen.... and the risks from delivering late....
I will also have an 8+lbs baby.... so, i would probably need a c-s if she is bigger than that! (i was told by my RE my hips were too narrow).
OB said he'll be doing a stress test after monday if he doesn't see any progression... so we'll see...
thanks for the luck! i'll need it! =)
They can do non-stress tests 2x per week to check your baby and the oxygen level. Be prepared if you induce on a non-ripe cervix, b/c it will likely lead to c/s. I am glad you are aware of that and ok, b/c it can be a shock and cause depression. I did attempt vbac but I know women who ruptured before their scheduled repeat c/s. Now, that is rare, and you shouldn't worry about that, but any time you cut the uterus you add risk to your next pregnancy, and I think if there is a way to avoid doing that, you would want to! Plus, you will lose bonding time with your baby if you end up with a c/s, which is a whole different kind of pain. When you look back on pics, as I do, and realize that I was in pain and drugged and out of it barely able to move, while everyone else in my family held my baby, that hurts. You have to know that is something that can happen too. There are good c/s, I know, and if it is necessary than it is, and you just deal, but if you can avoid those emotional and physical pitfalls, try!! Especially if it means just a few days wait. Why don't you plan an induction exactly one week after your due date, that will give you one week to hopefully allow your cervix to ripen, and you won't be SOOO late. Hopefully, you won't make it to that date :).
As to natural inductions, try using your breast pump now, practice. Nipple stimulation causes contractions. Castor oil (I hear) can also bring on the contractions.
Vane I was induced with my first on my due date because of g/d... I was not dilated or effaced at all... what I do suggest is that you go in for the tablet the put on your cervix that softens it I did that at 12am (insurance reasons for the late hour) and came back 8 hours later for the pitocin. I had my dd 8 hours later only pushed for an hour and a half... the tablet the put in me really helped... they didn't do that with my second.. Good luck and nipple stimulation.... that you can even do yourself if you are really committed hahaha
...and just for the record, I'm going on my 3rd c-section. Never had any problems with bonding or recovery. You'll love your baby no matter the birth process!!
You are so lucky, b/c I did have alot of problems with not getting to see my babies or hold them right away, or nurse. But I'm glad to hear that doesn't always happen.