Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

Breast pumps?

I posted this in another forum, but figured I'd post here too.  I am planning on breast feeding my little one, but I only have 8 weeks off of work and would like to continue to breast feed until at least 5 - 6 months.  I am only going to have minimal time to pump at work, so I was thinking I needed something other than manual pump.  Does anyone has any reccomendations?  Which pump did you use and what did you like/not like about it? Double / single?  Please help I am a new mom!
I won a breastpump through a sweepstakes in a baby magazine when I was 6 months pregnant!  I was so thrilled!  It was a Lansinoh double electric pump.  It was excellent!  Very simple instructions, assembly.  It was very powerful, and I would always fill both bottles up everytime I pumped.  If I would have bought it myself, I think it cost a little over $200.
I have the medela double pump and works great!!! on the go or at home.. make sure to get a double if you have to pump at work.. it is so much faster to get them both done at the same time =)

Good luck
Thanks ladies! I think I am going to get a manual pump to pump for while I am at home and then if I still think I am going to pump - I will get the medela.
I know we mentioned 2 of the most expensive electric breast pumps out there...but there are very affordable, less expensive electric pumps out there that work just fine...I don't think you'll be satisfied with a manual...it takes forever, and you may get frustrated with it--on top of having your newborn to care for...Just a thought, make it easy on yourself--especially since you have to return to work!  Best wishes!
Ohhh I agree manual stink!!!! they take forever and you cant pump both easliy at all! I bought my pump from a lady that only used it once.. they can be bought second hand for much much less.... they can be cleaned and sterilzed as the ones you rent from the hospital.. I bought all new parts for mine which was only 25.00 the best thing ever! I also found and bought a medela electric double pump for 20.00 (steal)!!! and works great! from a very nice lady... which came with all new attachments.

Some people shy completely away from it, as i usually do with used stuff but I was very sure  to clean and sterize everything I could not replace! Check out craigslist.com I am sure you can find one in your town, if you like =) BUT DO THE ELECTRIC.. you thank us all later..lol
I have the madela pump in style and Love it...I'm a teacher and had to pump at school shile my kids were at specials...it works fast.but is expensive.  If you are only gonna pump for a lil while you may want to look into renting from the hospital.  It is up to you I didnt pump for long but got my own because we hope to get a BFP again :O)
good luck pumping at work isnt much fun (worrying kids may come to the door LOL)but well worth it!!!
I just read the azqtpie's post...my sis lent her madela to friends it pumped for 10 kids before it died .....the reason I had to buy one :O(
The reason I was going to get manual - is b/c I hate to spend so much money on an expensive pump and then something happen like I don't supply enough milk or it dries up to quickly (I know rare occurences, but it has happened).  I am going to be home for 2 months with Landen, and then I figured if I were to pump at work - I would buy a nicer one.  I am a teacher too and won't have time to manually pump once I go back to work. So if I am still nursing I will buy/rent/find a nicer pump.  Does that make sense?
I went with the Laleche pump that looks like a suitcase/laptop case and had a little refrigerated area in it ~ it was a bit pricy but you can always get the replacement parts for it and works like a charm ~ that was 12yrs ago and now am hoping to be able to use it again ~ I pumped for 8 months last time and had to quit because of meds I had to go on from getting the flu ~ darn flu ~ but was able to have alot in the freezer to keep adding to my daughter's food for another 4 months ~ I processed all her food (mixed it with the breast milk) and stored in icecube trays then she didn't have to use the over-manufactured foods...she loved it!!
You know... I actually didn't mind my manual pump at all.  It only took me a few minutes per side and I could fill bags and bags.  The electric one was so loud I was afraid they would hear it at work which is a bit embarassing.  I think I had the Playtex one.   I felt like the electric were a bit expensive for me and also I sort of thought I'd feel like a milk cow being hooked up to a machine on the farm. LOL!

Sheri
Sheri ~ I know exactly what you mean ~ I worked for a big software company back then and had on my calendar on the computer when I was pumping and as soon as I went in there the place got packed ~ it was embarrassing enough then they all saw my scheduled and went in the bathroom at the same time ~ needless to say after all the mergers/acquisitions I wasn't there much longer ~ had to get out with all the stress ~ it inhibits your milk and when I left all was MUCH better ~ I was SO excited I had enough in the freezer to keep her on milk a few months after the darn flu ~
Sanigstooo- I will keep the  Laleche brand in mind, if I choose to get an electric pump.

Sheri - That is yet, another reason I will hold off on the electric pump.  I may be able to use the manual pump and it is much cheaper.  

Thanks guys!
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.