Breast reduction surgery

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I'm ten weeks and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about feeding after a breast reduction? I fed my first 15 years ago but since have had a breast reduction ( 10 yes ago) ??? I've been told not expect to be able to  by a doctor but it still might be a ppossibility. Has anyone had success??
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wow sounds like you gave it a good go. I was wondering about the amount of milk I will have because they said I might have some but not enough to exclusively breast feed. Thanks for your response mamainoz:)
Helpful - 0
I had preeclamplsia so really wasn't in great health and my baby was prem. I had low thyroid, low vitamin d, anemic, and breast reduction working against me as well as a prem baby with his health needs. I had a great midwife who helped me breastfeed every couple of hours and pump in between feeds in the first 3 days to help build up supply and help with attachment but as his needs changed my supply didn't increase and what he did get wasn't very good quality. After a month he was well below his birth weight and still had jaundice. After a week on formula he was like a different baby, so much happier and starting to thrive.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your response. When you say you had trouble do you mean in producing enough milk?
Helpful - 0
Yes, I had one about 5yrs ago. I was told if the ducts were intact it would be fine but in all honesty I had a lot of difficulty. I would look into a nipple shield before bub is born and maybe consider pumping. I had to stop breastfeeding after only 4wks because of many reasons but if you wanted to, and all is going well, once you overcome the latching issue it should be fine.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.