Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

Depression in Pregnancy

Have any of you heard, that now part of your regular OB appts, Drs will be screening for signs of depression?  SO SMART.  So many women suffer from mild to severe cases of depression, and once they become pregnant, mixed with hormones, well...it isn't a happy cocktail.  Also, post partum depression...it is so easily fixed, yet so hidden from many new Moms...please talk to someone if you have the baby blues, or feel overwhelmed...help is only minutes away!  
Great topic to put out there. Som many women don't bring it up because they feel like failures as moms!!! It is so important to talk to someone, anyone, so that you get the help you need. It doesn't make you a failure...it makes you a wonderful Mother!!!
with my first i took meds for ppd.   you know what i read? that it happens to be higher with moms who have boys and my first was a boy.  anyway i agree that moms need to feel as though its not a bad thing and most moms have it to some degree.  
pertykitty, you are right, it is more common for women that have boys.  I had it with my son, and coincidentally not with my daughter.  I probably should have been on something after I had my son, but I guess I fought it, and just hoped it would go away...it did, but it could have been so much more pleasant, had I been on something to take the edge off.  
Great post!! I had terrible ppd with my daughter. With the birth of this baby I def know the signs to watch for and when to seek out help if required. There is no need to suffer in silence.
This is a great post! It is so sad that woman have to feel ashamed because of PPD. I never dealt with it personally, but I know a lot of women who have and it can be devastating. I wish more doctors would start discussing the signs and symptoms early in pregnancy so that women know what to look for.
Ironic you should post this.  I just spoke to a freind of mine regarding her OB appt today where her Dr. asked her if she had been having any strange dreams or nightmares.  I thought this was an unusual question since it was in no way related to her routine visit...or at least I thought.  
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.