Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

Gestational Diabetes

Along with other problems, I was just recently diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes....Can anyone tell me what I should do to lower this problem?  I don't understand why this happened to me.....I'm not overweight and don't have a history of diabetes in my family. I'm pretty devistated.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  =]
Your doc should set you up with a nutritional councelor and set you up with testing supplies, if not, request it. I wasn't overweight either, it really has nothing to do with it in pregnancy. Just the way your body reacts to being pg. You should be able to keep it in line with diet, if not they'll give you insulin. You'll just have to watch your carb and sugar intake. You will have a higher chance of getting type 2 diabetes in later life, but you can control that a little by eating right and maintaining a good weight. It really isn't that bad, my daughter was born 6lb 13oz and is perfectly healthy. Other than GD, I had a very good pregnancy. It will all work out ok. Good luck to you.
I had GD also, I mostly controlled mine by diet, but at the end (38 weeks) I needed to take a pill to get my numbers down a little, durning delivery my sugar dropped very low and I needed a shot of insulin.  If it stays high they will start you on medication first to see if that works and if not they you would need the insulin.  
Thank you very much guys.  It's great to be able to come on this site and hear other stories like mine.  =]   I trully appreciate every single response.  
Hi. I, too, was recently diagnosed with GD & I'm not overweight either. Pre-pregnancy, I was actually hypoglycemic (low blood sugar), so I was surprised that I'd gone to the opposite end of the spectrum. After one week of trying to manage it with diet, my #s were still high, so I started insulin shots last Friday. After a little bit of tweaking the doses based on my #s, everything's looking good :) Like you, I've had lots of new hurdles to overcome with my pregnancy, but I believe it just makes us stronger & the reward is much greater than the struggle :) Best wishes & be sure to ask if you have any questions :)
I had GD during my pregnancy.  I started on insulin at 3 1/2 months until the end of pregnancy.  My baby was born at 38 weeks and 7 lb 2 oz and was perfectly fine.  I was not overweight and no family history. It is just one of these things that happens.

Just work to manage it very agressively.  You will be fine.
Apparently GD is quite common and has nothing to do with weight per se.  From what I've read, as the baby/placenta grows, so does the demand for insulin for the cells to process sugars -- up to three times what the body normally needs to produce.  In addition, hormones produced by the placenta block the action of the mother's own insulin.  

Babies born to mothers with poorly controlled diabetes are also at higher risk for low blood sugar , jaundice, polycythemia ( high numbers of red blood cells) , low calcium levels, and an increased risk for fetal death during the last months of pregnancy.

Lastly uncontrolled diabetes places the mother at risk for developing polyhydramnios (excessive amniotic fluid) and pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure with protein in the urine).

Controlling diabetes through diet, exercise and insulin shots, if necessary is pretty easy, but for sure you'll benefit from guidance through a diabetes education centre or whatever is available in your area.

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.