Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

Not pregnant...Need to lose weight!

Hi!  Well, I never did start my period but a blood test revealed that I am definately not pregnant, and I am also NOT going through menopause.  YAY...so there is still some time...maybe! =)  

I am 45 as of July of 2008...I am 5 foot 3 inches, and weigh 220 pounds.  I run a very busy daycare out of my home, so I don't get out much.  By the time the last one leaves I am wiped out!  I don't have the money to join "Curves" or a "gym", have considered weight watchers, and don't agree with the Atkins diet because our bodies were originally designed for a 'plant-based' diet, so straight meat worries me.  My sister lost weight with it, but she puts it right back on.  What I need is a fast weight to jumpstart the weight loss, so that I can see results over the next 3 months.  I want to be healthy and pregnant...not helpless!  I know with some direction I can do it, but I am not consistant if it requires too much time to 'plan' a meal based on counting this and weighing that.  I have the "apple" shape...my tummy looks like I am pregnant because of the way it sticks out.  I am not as strong as I used to be so I need to work on strengthing my muscles again.  

So...do any of you know a way to lose weight quickly if you are over 40, and have that stubborn belly fat thing going on?  I don't seem to lose weight by walking or exercise...doing that is going to be to get stronger and healthier...but it won't shrink my belly or my butt...sadly. =(  

Money is somewhat of an issue so I won't be able to join most of those Jenny Craig, LA weight loss things.  I am kind of thining Weight Watchers because it seems like it has been pretty successful and I can continue it pregnant.  Does anyone have any other idea's?  Maybe even a way to find an exercise that WILL help with weight loss.

Thanks so much!

Tammy
Us perimenopausal ladies must take care of ourselves and "the middle/tire" weight gain is all to common.
There is a nutritionist who is quite well respected called Anne louise gittleman.  She has written a book called the changing diet - for us in perimenopause.  Now I really don't follow the diet, although its worth a read because if you can just follow a few of her suggestions it will help - the other important tip is SUPPLEMENTS!!!  Flax oil and others help to reduce bloating which is a big problem in perimenopause.  I am big into B6, B12 and 3000 mg a day of C.
Check her out - she has lots of great suggestion.  
Hi Tammy, the first thing I want to applaud you for is your honesty.  Talking about your weight is a very sensitive issue, and it sounds like you are determined to achieve a goal to meet a goal.  But, remember, any weightloss done fast, immediate, or quick, will not work!  You have to incorporate eating healthier smaller portioned meals coupled with routine daily exercise.  It's as simple as that.  Have you stuck with walking briskly long enough to see results?  Because a 30 minute brisk walk a day, over time can get you started off to a healthy beginning.  Unfortunately, "belly jelly" as I call it, is usually there to stay in spite of countless situps, I have it too.  So there is no one exercise that will target your belly.  That's not to say, situps and other exercises won't help lose inches and strengthen your abdomen muscles, because it will.  As for money, I'm sure you've heard, the only thing to invest in is a good pair of sneakers!  It does sound like your hands are full during the day, and time is of the essence, but you have to make time for you!  You mentioned you run a daycare out of your home?  With babies/toddlers?  There's your buddies and your incentive!  Could you put music on and dance or jump around for 20 minutes??  You'll get the needed exercise, and they'll just laugh their heads off!  Anyway, hope some of my ideas helped.  I know it's frustrating and hard to get started, but once you do...it will be the beginning of a whole new lifestyle for you!  Try to keep a journal too, what you eat during the day, the time you eat, and what you're feeling...huge help!!  Best of luck to you!  Pam
I did weight watchers, and I highly recommend it.  My husband lost 75 lbs in four months, I lost 30.  I did also do some running, but only 3-4x per week.  My husband did no exercise at all.  It is an easy diet and you are not hungry.  
You're a brave woman! Undertaking a weight loss plan is so hard...trust me I know. I'm overweight, also. Same weight as you, just two inches taller. LOL. Anyway...if you really want a "jumpstart" (which isn't always a good idea, but does wonders for the psyche), I would recommend a liquid diet for a week or ten days. After that, you're on the right track...Weight Watchers is a wonderful, effective, easy-to-use program. I know countless people who have lost weight and kept it off with WW.

The only other thing I want to point out is that - and I hope the vegans won't get upset - our bodies *weren't actually designed to have a plant-based diet. We have a huge need for protein, which most of us don't get enough of. And, yes, you can get protein from some types of beans and other non-animal products...but our bodies were definately designed to have a mixed diet, according to most nutrition experts.

Anyway...good luck with whatever plan you decide to go with!

Tricia
Good for you for wanting to be healthier!  Something we could probably all work harder at.  I guess I personally don't believe there is any healthy "fast track".  In all honesty, working on portion control, healthy balanced diet and excercise is the best way to not only take off weight, but keep it off.  When you do it too quickly, it can cause problems, and typically will go right back on.  I don't know what your diet is like now, however, exchange anything white (bread, rice, pasta) for whole wheat or whole grain.  Exchange unhealthy sugary snacks for fruit, yogurt, etc.  I hate to excercise, and have absolutely no desire to join a gym.  Instead, I walk every day.  DH and I often do it together, and its sort of a nice "date" after a hectic day.  I also make use of our community centre and swim at the drop in programs.  Walking is great excercise, you don't really need any special equipment (just a good pair of shoes) and its amazing how much better I feel.  I sleep better, have more energy, etc.  Sorry, I know this probably isn't the information you were looking for, but I have seen so many spend a lot of money on diets, etc. just to put it back on.  Changing over all habits will help you not only lose the weight, but feel better and have more energy.  Just my two cents.  Good luck to you, and I also applaud you!!

FYI - MedHelp also has a weight loss forum and a healthy cooking forum.  You may find both helpful as well!!
I changed my diet to "lean meats" and lots of chicken and veggies. Cut out the sugary fruits and stick to strawberries and blueberries. Get rid of the white breads and switch to wheat. I also got on the bike to ride at least 6 miles 4x a week. Drink TONS of water! Also, portion control...I have actually put weight back on since I went crazy off my diet and couldn't exercise because I have 2 small ones and DH can work a week at a time. We invested in a thing to put my own bike on so that I can ride it on the porch and not leave the house. Cardio is the BEST For all fat. When I was riding my bike that much, it was melting off, but, thighs, belly.. I can really tell a difference going off. It works quick too! Good Luck to you!
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.