Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

Nuchal translucency screening question?

hello,just wondering if anyone has any info on this? I will be 35 and my doctor want me to do this but I have never heard of it :) any info on how your went will be great Thanks
If you want a lot of medical information on the test, I'd "google" it and check it out. But, I can tell you that several of us here have had it done. It's basically a screening test for chromosomal problems. An ultrasound is done that measures the fluid at the nuchal fold (back of the neck). This can be an indicator of Down Syndrome and a couple other chromosomal abnormalities. The thicker the fold, the higher the risk that there's a problem. Normally the test is combined with other measurements from the ultrasound, and with the results of a blood test from the mother. With these measurements, the mother is given a risk factor. For example, I think my Down Symdrome risk factor was something like 1:500, meaning that there was a 1 in 500 chance my baby has DS. Keep in mind that this is just a RISK factor - it's not definitive. If you want to know for SURE, the amniocentesis or Chorionic Villus Sampling will give you a definate yes or no. Many people choose the Nuchal Translucency test to guide them, as it's much less invasive and there's no risk (as there is with the amnio or CVS). Good luck with whatever test you decide to get!

Tricia
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.