Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

Testing?

Hi. I am 36 and I've had 2 MC since July. One was at 14 weeks but the baby measured only 12. I never spotted or cramped on my own, the MC was found during a routine exam. I had the baby's tissue tested and it came back normal - no chromosomal abnormalities. I also had the series of about 12 blood tests for clotting, etc. All negative.

The other MC was at 8-9 weeks which is apparently more "normal". So no testing on that one for me or tissue.

1. Should I be getting tested for genetic disorders? Or only after 3 MCs?
2. Could the baby have had another problem (brain/heart) that would not be detected during the triple screen or the tissue testing that would have caused MC?

Sometimes the problem can be with the placenta and not the fetus.  When I had my miscarriage a long time ago, the fetus was tested for all abnormalities and everything can back normal.  The doctor said that he surmised that the problem had to do with the placenta, although the placental testing showed no blood clots or defects either.

Since your baby was tested and had no chromosomal  abnormalities, it may be one of those cases where they will never know what caused the baby to stop growing in utero.

I would think they should be looking for hormone deficiencies in you, that may be the reason you are not carrying a baby to term.

I am so sorry to hear of your losses.  You should not have to endure a 3rd miscarriage, before the doctor's do some specific testing to see if your hormone levels during pregnancy are too low to allow the pregnancy to continue.  Since you talked about having a series of blood work done and all came back negative, I am wondering if they checked your levels for estrogen, progesterone, etc.

Again, I am so sorry that you have been through this.  This is heartbreaking.  Best of luck to you.

Heather
You and I sound so similar.  I too had normal chromosonal testing on the tissue, also no issues with blood clotting disorders, etc.  

In my case, I just recently found out I have fibroids.  I of course had assumed by old OB had tested for this, but turns out he couldn't have.  They are fairly easy to detect through ultrasound.  Fortunately it also looks like they will be fairly easy to remove. The other thing I am awaiting results on is genetic testing between DH and I.  This was done through blood tests on both of us.  You may want to request tests for both of these issues.

Unfortunately about 50% of the time they don't find a reason for first trimester miscarriage.  I guess there are so many little things that can go wrong during the early stages of development.

I know how heartbreaking this is, and I am so sorry you are going through this.  I hope they do find out what is going on with you.  I wish you all the best, and I truly hope that 2009 is your year!!!!
I'm so sorry for your losses.  What did your Dr. say about your first miscarriage?  

I, too, had 2 m/c.  My Dr. did not do any tests or bloodwork so I asked to be referred to a fertility specialist (I just turned 42 and have no time to lose).  The fertility specialist is checking everything, from genetic, anatomic, endocine and autoimmune disorders.  Everything is checking out normal so far, so I think, in my case, it is likely due to reproductive ageing; miscarriages are far more common in my age group:(

I wish you all the best.

I had 2m/c this year as well.  My doctor stated that to every child you have, you are allowed up to three m/c before there is any need to test.  However, after my D&C he did tell me that there were no medical problems. I also have a fibriod, but my doc told me not to even think or worry about it.  My doctor did tell me that after two cycles I could try again. Insisted that if my husband, and I keep trying we will have a baby eventually.  I talked with my primary physician, and he stated to me that everything my OB  was telling me was correct, but also stated who wants to have 3m/c before they know why they are m/c?  I say to you continue to have as many test done that your doctor will do until you are satisfied with the results...

I am sorry to hear about your lost, and pray as adgal that 2009 will be yours, mine, and hers:-).  Best wishes.
First, I would like to say that I am sorry for your loss! This happened to me three times and finally my doctor found out that it was a problem with my placenta. The tissue in the placenta was hardening causing the blood vessels to stiffen and no flow between me and the baby. I had to take baby aspiran when I finally conceived again with my son and I carried him to term!!!
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.