Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

Weight loss. Twin pregnancy. Doctor might start me on a feeding tube?

I was recently released from a stay at the hospital for trouble with my asthma, dehydration and weight loss in my pregnancy.

I have: Asthma, GERD and Hypothyroidism.

I'm 3 weeks and 4 days pregnant with twins, thanks to IVF.

I have not had any vomiting so far, however every day I am plagued with nausea, difficulty breathing (heaviness in my chest as if someone is sitting on me), dizziness and an overall feeling of sickness after I eat and even after I drink!

My appetite is fine, I like food, I want to eat, it doesn't hurt to swallow, but eating is too difficult. The sickness afterward keeps me from eating as much as I should and what I do eat is forced.

I'm in bed feeling ill almost all of the time. I can do very very little these days and it's been this way for months.

Although my two little ones are growing fine right now, but I'm terribly worried for them and feel like they are going to suffer serious consequences if I can't get this under control.

I have lost about 15 pounds so far and I'm now in my second trimester. I also have GERD and was prescribed a medication for it (zantac), which I will begin tomorrow. While I was in the hospital, the GI doctor informed me that they would have liked to run a scope to see what's going on inside my intestines and such, but they cannot because I'm pregnant, so I have to try medications for now and go back to see them if it doesn't help.

They also said that if I don't get any better and continue to lose weight, I will have to have a food line, or feeding tube, or nutrition line...I'm not sure what they called it, but the thought of it scares me.

Chest X-Ray did not reveal any infections.

So my questions are:

1. Have any of you experienced anything like this before?

2. What could all of this be?

2. Have you had a feeding tube due to weight loss or know anyone who had? I want to know what to expect.

3. If I can't keep myself hydrated, how long should I wait to see my doctor about it?

Thank you and I sure hope you can help. I have tons of doctor appointments coming up and I just want to feel well.

Oh, please note that my oxygen levels we good (above 90).
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.