Aa
A
A
A
Close
Pregnancy 35 and Older Community
13.8k Members
Avatar universal

i dnt want to go to 42wks

I mght have to switch Dr because I refuse to go to 42 wks.  I'm due Sunday but I know he's not go come on his own. Haven't dilated or nutn so I'll know I'll go over I'll do a wk but nomore than that
4 Responses
Avatar universal
That should be your choice. Tell your doctor your concerned about the increased risk for older mums going over dates. There is no benefit for the baby in studies (if you're sure of your dates) after 38 weeks.
You would have a slightly higher rate of needing medical intervention but your doctor should be able to give you advice.  My best friend just had a still birth at 9 months. I don't think any woman should have to go over if they are worried and the advantages and disadvantages are discussed. I'm discussing it with my obstetrician and midwife this afternoon with 8 days until my EDD and ivf pregnancy and >35years they should be understanding.
13167 tn?1327197724
It's VERY unlikely you'll reach 42 weeks and not go  into labor.  

Avatar universal
I'm really scared now I hate hearing bad news it really hits me hard.n I'm sorry ur friend had to go threw that...I pray that my baby b healthy n strong lord Jesus I pray. And I hope I do go into labor way before then. So u saying I can basically tell my dr that if i go over I would like to b induced asap just to b safe.
Avatar universal
You can ask.  You can say you're uncomfortable going over more than a week and would like to hear the real risks versus benefits of induction for you with your personal circumstances.  (If I was 17 and got pregnant easily and was very fit that is lower risk than over 35).
They want you to get the best outcome and part of that is you feeling comfortable that the choice is given and right for you.  
Trust your intuition and if your doc is adamant that you should go over further but you're not comfy ask for a second opinion.
I'm 39 weeks today and being induced tomorrow. I could choose to wait but the team at the hospital think the decision is sensible on the balance of medical risks and benefits and with my grief and emotions following supporting my friend this last week.  I feel safe in their hands and think hanging around for another 3 weeks would make me anxious and put my mental health at risk for no benefit for baby.  Ironically I feel really fit and healthy with my only negative symptom being heartburn and have had an easy third trimester. (ie physically I can exercise and don't "want it out" because of discomfort/tiredness).i am lucky in this respect.
I'm also aware that many women choose to wait for natural labour and do completely fine and have a more gentle course.  The bad outcomes are a very, very small minority but still the decision should be yours.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.