Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

stopped microgestin/missed period

Hi-  My wife had been on Microgestin for several years.; she recently stopped (about 1 month ago) because she learned it takes some months for it to fully leave the body and enable her to conceive. She may get pregnant some time next yr., but I definitely wouldn't want her to be pregnant yet (or in the next few months). She is now about 1 week late for her period. I found out the cycles don't return to where they normally are, for a while, after getting off of the pill. So she thinks 1 week late is no big deal and doesn't think she's pregnant because her body isn't back to having normal/regular cycles yet. During and since she was on the pill, I always used a condom properly, but I guess those aren't 100% safe. She doesn't think she needs to take 1 of those home tests yet. I'm just nervous she's pregnant, and wish she would get her period. Am I worrying too much?
You are such a sweet husband to be writing in worried about your wife!!  Its nice to see men so involved in this whole process.  First off, yes going off of any hormonal birth control can mess up your cycles.  When I came off of Depo Provera, my cycles were all over the map for 2 or 3 months at least.  And if you have been using protection, it is unlikely she is pregnant, providing you are using it properly.

If she is a week late,there is a small possibility she is pregnant.  Regardless, taking a home pregnancy test right now will at least serve to put your mind at ease, the wondering and worrying are always the worst.  If in fact she is pregnant, please don't worry too much.  Lots of women get pregnant right after coming off of birth control, and all turns out just fine.  Her Dr. can give you all the info to put your mind at ease.  

Good luck to you!!
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.