Pregnancy 35 and Older Community

zoloft?

I've been taking anti-depressants for about 7 years, zoloft for the last 3. When I got pregnant, I researched it online and everything said that it should be discontinued after 28 weeks because it can cause hypertension in a newborn. I asked all 3 of my midwives, and they each told me that there was no danger in continueing zoloft for the entire pregnancy and even while breastfeeding. I've already cut my dose by half anyway. Is anyone else on zoloft or has anyone taken during their pregnancy?
Antidepressants are common use by pg women.

Please be careful cutting dosage on your own, etc, it can wreek havoc on your emotions by causing levels to go up and down...not good during an already emotional stage.

Good luck
I would consult with a OBGYN/ RE immediately.  Midwives are nice but generally are not dr's.  good luck
There used to be no warnings at all for use of antidepressants by pregnant women, but that is starting to change.  There is some evidence that it can cause mild motor difficulties in the baby as well as the hypertension.  Now, this research is mixed and unclear, but in my opinion, not enough research has been done to give a definite answer either way. So, I think it really boils down to a risk/benefit decision.  If the mother can safely handle being off of antidepressants without significant symptoms, then it is best to stop them.  But, a healthy baby needs a healthy mother and there are definitely times when it is safer for everyone if the mom continues on the antidepressant.  If you do decide to stop, then yes, you must slowly wean yourself off, or you take the risk of rebound depression.  So you know the context of my answer and where I got my info from - I am a clinical psychologist and work at Columbia U. with children with neurodevelpmental problems - I work with developmental pediatricians, psychiatrists, neurologists, geneticists, and basic science researchers.  I am repeating advice that I have heard from all of these specialists.  I would check with your OB and with your prescribing doctor.  Good luck with your decision and congrats on your pregnancy.  
Thank you so much for your input. I really needed to hear some other opinions. I did tell my midwife that I had cut my dosage from 50 mg. a day to 25 mg. a day. She advised me against it but I actually started cutting down before I'd had my first appointment so I was already good with the lower dose. I am hesitant to stop completely because I've tried in the past and suffered from anxiety attacks and bad depression. I don't actually see an OB, the midwives work with them in labor and delivery but they have seperate offices.
It's nice to have an expert on the board. I saw you posting on the autism board as well.
I was just looking at the Zoloft site (coincidentally, not because of your question) and saw there was some suggestion of inhibition of growth in babies when Zoloft is taken during pregnancy.  This blew my mind because I took 50 mg a day during pregnancy, and my son weighed in at 6 lb. 12 oz. at birth, surprising me a little because that seemed just a bit small.  I didn't follow further to see if there was anything about the child "catching up" after they were born (like a preemie) or if it was a permanent effect.  (I had stopped it when nursing, but have recently been considering taking it again.  Guess I'll just live with the stress instead!)  If it helps, exercise has tested as more effective than SSRIs.  I know there are limits to what you can do when pregs, but it might be possible to step it up slightly and see if that helps as you lower your dose.  
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.