Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

Increased nuchal fold measurement freaking me out!

I'm 28 years old and this is my first pregnancy, I don't have any genetic issues in my family and neither does my husband. At my 12 week scan the nuchal translucency measurements were ranging between 2.3-2.8. The tech made these seem high and freaked us out that our baby might have downs. They did the first screen blood test on me and it came back negative. My OB also told me that those measurements are within the normal range and nothing to worry about.

Fast forward to today. I'm 18 weeks 3 days. The same ultrasound tech that measured things before did our scan today which I was not happy about. After the scan was complete the Attending Dr called us in to her office, uh-oh now I'm scared. She told us that our baby had a choroid plexus cyst and a nuchal fold measurement of 6.5. She suggested further genetic blood testing even though my previous results were negative which I agreed to. I feel like I left my appointment shell shocked with more questions than answers. I thought all this was behind us with the negative results the first time. I was not mentally prepared today for more bad news.

Am I freaking out over what is probably nothing? What is the difference between the tests? Am I still at a highly increased risk of having a child with abnormalities even though my first screen was negative and the baby didn't have any other issues at 12 weeks? As far as I know a nasal bone was present. I know I can't know 100% but it would ease my fears some to hear that this can occur in normal babies or that positive outcomes are still possible.
hi yeorga
iam munawar from Paris
i am also 12 weeks pregnant and suffering from same situation .
my first scan was yesterday and came to know about the NT size is 6.9 mm
i was informed by the responsible doc that its not normal fetus size .
they recommend me for further test in next week. this is my first pregnancy
i dint know much about that. while searching online i found that you also having the same situation please guide me also what is the possible methods for making every thing normal ,,,
i knew its not good time for us but never lose hope ....there should be some way out of it.
May god help us both
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.