Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

No fetal heartbeat detectable at 5 weeks 6 days ultrasound

I had my first ultrasound (with the vaginal wand) and they estimated me to be at 5 weeks 6 days. I did in vitro. They confirmed the presence of a gestational sac, yolk sac and fetal dipole, but could not detect a heartbeat. Is 6 weeks or less too soon to see this? They counted 6 weeks back from the first day of my lmp, but they thought I might be running a little small.  I am worried that something is wrong! I have my second ultrasound next Thursday, and have read that sometimes it takes up to 10 weeks to detect a heartbeat. Also, my acupuncturist recommended that I use a heating pad (on low heat) on my abdomen as a sort of "incubator". Now I am worried about the electromagnetic waves being harmful. Please advise! This is my first pregnancy, and after what we went through with IVF (a blessing, but very draining), I am about exhausted with worry! I don't want to be a basket case by the time my next ultrasound comes around!  Any advice you can give would be great! THANK YOU!
I think they usually like you a little further along to get a detectable heart beat. I know the waiting game is hard.
I hope all goes well for you.
5 wks, 6 days can be too early. And you'd be amazed the difference a week can make. Don't give up hope yet. Seeing the fetal pole is a good sign.
I got pregnant in July 2003. I also had a miscarriage in Sept. 2003. When I went to have my pap appointment a month later, to make sure all of the baby was out. It went well, and I felt so strange being there with all those pregnant women. I was ready to beat hell out of there. Before I left they wanted me to take a pregnancy test. I thought it was the craziest thing I ever heard! Whatever got me out of there and fast, I would do! Well imagine my amazement when it came up positive. (I took one  in the hospital right after my miscarriage, and it came up negative) I had lots of blood work done, and ultrasounds done with the wand. I had all of that but no heartbeat too. Talk about being STRESSED OUT TO THE MAX!!! I had to go back the next week and I prayed every 2 minutes until I went back. After the 6th week, the heartbeat is able to be heard. So just keep positive, and try not to stress too much, and pray everything will be alright. By the way, I have a gorgeous, healthy 9 mo old daughter.
I'm sorry you are going through this.

I don't think the heating pad is necessary at all--your body will keep the embryo at exactly the right temperature.  

It's impossible not to worry, but try to keep some peaceful thoughts and emotions.  Good luck to you.
Thank you all so much for replying! That really helps me a lot. I had been scrolling through the forums, and recognize some of your screen names. You all spend a lot of time helping others, and that is great!  It is truly a blessing to have other voices heard (instead of the doctor/nurse telling you casually not to worry about it). I have girlfriends who have had children, but it is nice to get advice from women who have had the same worries and concerns as I have. My mom died when I was 15, so I don't have her to turn to. Luckily, my mother-in-law is a great person, and I feel like she is my mom. However, she has a lot of health problems, so I only tell her the good news,and not the nervouse questions! I am going to be as patient as I can be, and concentrate on the rest of my family (i.e. husband, 2 dogs and 2 cats). :)
I am sure everything will be fine. Probably just to early to see. You are right, these women on here are a blessing to have around and if you ever need to come ask questions or just talk about it, feel free, we are always checking in. You are blessed to have a good relationship with your mother in law. I lost my mom 3 years ago to cancer but I was a bit older, 28. But it all hurts the same. Unfortunately, I do not have a great relationship with my mother in law. We get along but not to the point I really want to confide anything in her. So I hope all works out for you and keep in touch! Danielle
My sister had two pregnancies where they couldn't detect a heartbeat (and she was 9 weeks both times!) but she now has 2 healthy kids. Don't worry until you know for sure.
You are way to early to detect a heartbeat.  Even though sometimes it is detected, at 6 weeks your baby is only 0.3 cm.  Take a ruler out and see how tiny that it.  It is so easy to miss the heartbeat.  Hang in there.  Time will tell what is going on.  I don't know why doctors tell women this so early in their pregnancies and scare them half to death. I personally wouldn't believe any diagnosis until later weeks.  Visit this web-site for some encouraging stories while you wait this out.

http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/forums/

Carolyn,

I was wondering about your sister. The two children that she has now did not show their heartbeats until 9 weeks?  I have a friend who had this happen to her.  I get so many questions about this and refer my friends case.  I'm glad to hear more stories like this.  Especially in light of so many doctors telling patients that a heartbeat should be seen by 5 weeks.  It just isn't the norm.
Just wanted to check in. I had my second ultrasound today (7 weeks 2 days along), and the sac looked the same as it did when I first posted my message. The doctor said it was a blighted ovum, and would miscarry. He was very gentle about it. I am very upset, needless to say. We can try IVF again in another 2 months, which we will definitely do. I am heartbroken about losing this one, but I know deep in my heart it was God's will. I prayed every day for this baby to be healthy, and am still having a hard time believing this is for the best. I can't lose my faith, since that is what is keeping me moving every day of this whole journey. Please pray for me to have the strength to get through this, and that our next round is successful. In a way, I can't believe I even got pregnant after the first IVF, so I guess I don't realistically know how I was expecting to feel. Just wanted to update you all, since you have been so good about sharing your stories with me.
I really feel for you. I hope your diagnosis is better than mine. I know sometimes the doctors and ultrasonographers are wrong, but they seemed pretty sure in my case. Everything I have read indicates that it is very rare for this to happen twice. Please tell me you and DH are going to try again. We can all go through the second try together, and then it will work and we can fight over baby names! :)
I am in the exact same boat as you. I read your original post on the same day I had my U/s and was given the same diagnosis. We were the same week & day.  My deepest sympathy to you for your loss.  I still have to wait and additional week before my second u/s. It seems so far away and I have no symptoms of miscarraige yet. Like you I try and hold hope for this pregnancy, but it seems unlikely it will work in my favor.  I wish you and your spouse the best of luck in your next IVF:)
Sounds great! It was rather spooky to read your post as it was like reading my on bio!  I will keep you posted on the results, not until next Thursday. I feel in my heart I know the outcome, and would probably die of cardiac arrest myself if it is different (LOL). Trying to keep my spirits up...but this is my second pregnancy in a year. last year had a tubal that went on for weeks undiagnosed. ended in a methotrexate shot. and this pregnancy was a bit of a suprise, a souvenior(?) from our vacation to Hawaii. SO it was really exciting. I am not giving up yet, will try again.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.