Old wives tales!!

My MIL says if i cross my legs it will wrap the umbilical cord around the baby's neck!! Idk how true that is but my doctor never mention that! Whats some of the old wives tales have you heard????
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wow, I can't even cross my legs. My mom still thinks if you have heartburn, it means the baby has hair.
Helpful - 0
The heartburn and hair correlation has some basis in scientific fact. Increaaed Estrogen levels, which have been linked to hair growth in fetuses, have also been linked to heartburn in expecting mothers. Is it a foolproof way of telling if the baby will have a full head of hair? No. It is slightly more than a wives tail
Though.
Helpful - 0
- If you’re having a girl you will crave sweets

- If you’re having a boy you will crave salty foods

- Next time you pee check the color dull yellow = girl and bright yellow means boy

- Nose getting wider or bigger means a boy

- If you can only think of girl names than your probably having a girl.  Same goes with boy names

- If you lay on your left side your having a boy. Right side = girl.

- Heartburn means your baby will have lots of hair

- If your feet are colder your having a boy

- If a toddler boy shows interest in the pregnant women it is said that your  having a girl

- Carry out front means boy and all around a girl.  I’ve heard this one go both ways.

- Dry hands mean you’re having a boy

- If you don’t have the pregnancy “glow” it’s because you’re having a girl and she’s stealing your beauty

- Heart rate 140 bpm & above points to a girl. Under 140 bpm is a boy

- If you see something ugly while pregnant you will have an ugly baby

- If you have morning sickness it is said that your having a girl

- Pregnant women can’t have baths

- When in labor their needs to be a pot of boiling water going

- The Ring Test place it on string if it goes back and forth you’re having a girl, circles mean you’re having a boy

- If you pick up a key by the top you’re having a boy & if you pick it up at the bottom you’re having a girl

- Mayan Tale mothers age at conception and the year of conception if the number is even your having a girl

- If your skin is less than prefect and breaking out while pregnant you’re having a girl

- If your left breast is larger you’re having a girl. right = boy.

- If you have kids already you can get insight into what the next will be.  They say if your child’s first word was mama than your having a girl and if it was dada it’s a boy

- If your legs stay in shape your having a girl.  If they get big your having a boy.

- If you’re moody while pregnant you’re having a girl

- If you eat the end of the bread you’re having a boy

- Clumsy while pregnant = you’re having a boy.  Graceful = a girl

- While dreaming you will see what gender your having

- If you have headach

es its an old wives tale....got to love them....

Some more:

Helpful - 0
There are also studies that show that the heartburn could very well just be caused by the relaxation of the sphincter, thus causing the acid to leak through. Some women experience heartburn and the baby is born with very little to no hair and vice versa, some women don't have heartburn but the baby comes out with hair.
Helpful - 0
Don't bend over or the umbilical cord with get in a knot and the baby wont get oxygen. An elderly lady told me that while i was working at a shoe store and had her husband follow me around while she was shopping to make sure i was bending over. Crazy
Helpful - 0
Lol... That's sweet.
Helpful - 0
My cousin had extremely bad heartburn, but  her son was born bald! I didn't have any heartburn what so ever my son was born with a head full of hair!
Helpful - 0
Dont lift your arm over your head the umbilical cord could wrap around the baby neck,
Helpful - 0
Omg! How many of you actually believe the old wives tales??
Helpful - 0
I cross my legs. I never heard of that. Interesting. Its so many old wives tales, its hard to believe whats true and whats false lol.
Helpful - 0
I believe the heartburn hair one only because my babys father has amazing thick, dark, curly hair and mine *****...point: my heartburn has been crazy bad for so long! If she does not come out with amazing hair...then the heartburn was so not worth it. Lol. I love my baby either way though. :]
Helpful - 0
I actually psyched myself into believing that if I lift my arms up, my baby would choke on his umbilical cord. I thought about that while I lifted my arms up. I was trying to keep my food/drink down so I stood up and raised my arms up, then I started thinking about what I was doing.
Helpful - 0
It bleeped out the word s.u.c.k.s. lol. I'll put stinks. Half of the ones I see for having a girl is not true for me.
Helpful - 0
Yea I had terrible heartburn today at work, and mine gets so bad. If that old wives tale is true and all this heartburn Im having my baby boy better come out COVERED in hair lol.
Helpful - 0
Me too at first. I'm just under 5ft and still working so I'm always having to lift my arms. My doctor said she had never heard of it and that may barely hardly be possible in the last trimester if something was already high risk in the pregnancy.
Helpful - 0
I work at a toy/baby store and several guests with newborns who have hairy heads say they had heartburn like crazy!
Helpful - 0
I haven't had heartburn, does it come in the third trimester only??
Helpful - 0
I have such a hard time believing that s.hit lol. My son looked like a cabbage patch when he was born.. sooooo bald!
Helpful - 0
^^^ but my heartburn was a nightmare **
Helpful - 0
I have my legs crossed right now lol. The heartburn one was true for me. Two pregnancies no heartburn and two bald babies one pregnancy horrible heartburn and a baby with a full head of curls. This pregnancy i have heartburn that comes and goes but never gets to bad so I'm not sure what that indicates lol. According to the big list of old wives tales a previous poster posted I have better odds at having a boy but my ultrasound showed a girl.
Helpful - 0
Yeah i don't believe the heartburn one at all!! It's just not true because i experience none but son came out with a head full! Never had craddle cap, or anything etc. His hair stayed full of hair up until his father cut it at age 3
Helpful - 0
I would have to say all the old wives tales are not true.... I compared all the wives tales to my pregnancy and they all pointed to a girl.... But I'm having a boy....
Helpful - 0
To the ladies that have/had heartburn, can it occur anytime during your pregnancy?
Helpful - 0
Relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter and added pressure to the bottom of the stomach is what causes heartburn during pregnancy. I only mentioned hormone studies because it's the only old wives tail I know of that has some science behind it. There isn't really a magnitude measurement for heartburn so it's hard to say anything definitive about its correlation to hair. Also, correlation does not equal causation. Just because there is a relationship between the two factors doesn't mean it's a cause and effect thing.
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.