MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Question-Ice Cream

Have any of you ladies heard that soft serve ice cream is a no-no for pregnant women?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I haven't read anything from American sources about listeria in soft serve. I read a lot of sources about listeria when I first found out I was expecting. The only source i found for staying away from soft serve was from Australia...
Helpful - 0
lol yeah.. I'm going to send a health inspector to our mcdonald's before I consider going back haha!!
Helpful - 0
The maggot comment was disturbing. . I don't think I can eat soft serve ever again
Helpful - 0
I've GOT to stop reading this forum now!!! lol gagggg!
Helpful - 0
Soft serve ice cream contains pig fat, which is why its unsafe - has a higher chance of growing dangerous bacteria, especially if the machine isn't cleaned properly
Helpful - 0
I crave soft served alot and goto dairy queen all the time my baby is fine. Im really starting to question the rules. I saw a pregnant lady drinking coffee and eating sushi smdh. Idk to each its own, I follow most of the rules but ice cream wont do anything, besides by the time the baby gets it, its just liquid.
Helpful - 0
My book has a chapter about avoiding food poisoning and it never mentioned soft serve.
Helpful - 0
We have a local place for ice cream and sherbert. They change the flavor every other day so I know that machine is cleaned properly. It's my favorite place for soft serve!
Helpful - 0
Now I want some gelato... The 20min drive (one way) is going to be worth it! Gelato Spot here I come!!
Helpful - 0
O goodness....
Helpful - 0
I'll go to coldstone instead next time we go shopping! lol
Helpful - 0
oh gag.. nevermind!!!! noooo mcdonald's for me!!! lol
Helpful - 0
my doctor said no soft serve ice cream. than my mom told me that the McDonald's she managed hadn't been cleaning the ice cream machine properly. well one day it broke so they opened it and there were magets all over the inside of it!!! So now I know why doc said no. she said to make sure If I do get it to make sure it's a clean place I trust.
Helpful - 0
Noooo*
Helpful - 0
Oh nook I love vanilla frosties from Wendy's!!
Helpful - 0
:D.... No problem, ladies!
Helpful - 0
uh ohhh.. I had an oreo McFlurry not too long ago! lol
well, baby is fine so.. I guess all is well!! I HAVE heard of that before though.. but I guess I wasn't thinking about it at that point in time.

hmm, I could go for an ice cream cone from mcdonald's now though..
thanks Candy.. you ALWAYS make me think of sweet stuff!!! lol
Helpful - 0
Thanks candy for mentioning Wendy's! Now I HAVE to go get some fresh hot fries and a chocolate frosty and dip away;)
Helpful - 0
It was not on my list of foods to avoid from my Dr but some people were ayaimg they were told not to eat it. The issue with ice cream is its not cooked. With tacos and stuff you have heat to kill bacteria. Cold does not kill bacteria just slows reproduction
Helpful - 0
You are right@mitch. Idk@dannyzgirl, this is news to me but I will most certainly ask my Dr.
Helpful - 0
And is that the same for frozen yougurt?  Like froyo or cherry on top
Helpful - 0
So is that the same for all machines like soda. So soft serve is a no go?
Helpful - 0
Lol I try to avoid take out but sometimes you just have to give in and supply the craving ;-)
Helpful - 0
Lol@schmalzy
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.