Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

Spotting and passing clots during pregnancy

I posted on here a couple of months ago and am still having the same problem.  Right after I found out I was pregnant two months ago, I started passing bright red blood, but just spotting.  It rarely ever makes it to my underwear, but is there when I wipe.  I had two transvaginal ultrasounds at six weeks.  I have heard the baby's heartbeat twice since then (last time was yesterday) and I am now 14 1/2 weeks.  My doctor put me on pelvic rest back at six weeks and since I have been spotting every five or six days, my husband and I have chosen to keep me on pelvic rest.  I don't do anything overly strenuous, just light housework.  Today I was cleaning the kitchen (dishes, sweeping, mopping, dusting, etc.) and just a few minutes ago, I had some more spotting and there were two small clots (the blood is bright red).  My doctor says not to stress out over it too much unless I bleed so much that I have to wear a pad and actually change to a second one.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions or comments?  This is my third pregnancy and I am 38.  My last child was born almost eight years ago and this one was unplanned.  I was taking Orthotricyclen when I got pregnant and took it daily up until I found out I was pregnant, basically at 5 1/2 weeks.
Good on you and your husband on continueing the pelvic rest.  My doctor had me on modified bedrest and pelvic rest until I had no bleeding/spotting for an entire 30 days.

I started bleeding at five weeks. I bled every day, nonstop, with lots of clots until 13 weeks.  Well, I did have a break at 11 weeks for about a week and then I bled and passed clots again. At 13 weeks the bleeding finally stopped.  It was a relief and we had no answers.

My doctor was not as confident as your doctor and reminded me at every appointment and ultrasound that I would probably miscarry.  It was a very horrible first trimester.

So, I know all about the bleeding and passing of clots.  I do not however have experience with it during the second trimester.  I thought my doctor could have done a better job of not scaring me, as we knew the chance of miscarriage was high but didn't need to hear it over and over and over again.

It sounds like you may want a more involved doctor.  I don't know.  There is nothing you can do to stop the bleeding and that really stinks.  Be careful with the housework that you do.  I wasn't allowed to lift anything or do most housework.  Basically, I was told to not do anything and that is what I did.  

The birth control really shouldn't play a role in what is going on now.  It's true that you aren't supposed to take it while pregnant, but many women do (as you did -- didn't know they were pregnant at the time) and I've read a little about it and it appears that it doesn't cause any problems.

I hope the spotting stops soon.  It's scary and frustrating.

You should try to take it as easy as possible.  Good luck.
Any time there is bright red blood, it is best to contact the doctor. Light spotting can be normal, but just call your doctor as soon as you can, just to find out what's wrong. Don't be startled, just make sure everything's okay.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck, sweetie!
I had my doctor's appointment yesterday morning and about 3:30 yesterday is when I bled again.  I called the doc right then and that's when she told me about having enough blood to have to change to a second pad.  Another problem is that my breasts are really sore again, just like they were when I first found out I was pregnant.  They hurt so bad around and behind my nipples that they are physically sore to the touch and I can't stand any pressure on them.  I don't wear a bra at all when I am at home.  Usually my spotting just lasts one day, but I'm doing it again today.    I'm really worried, although I know there is nothing I can do to stop or prevent a miscarriage if it is going to happen.  

Back when I was 6 1/2 weeks pregnant, my doc already told me I had a 50% chance of carrying to term.  I didn't like hearing that either, but at least that is the only time I heard it.  I'll keep you guys posted.
I think you are out of the woods.  I would change doctors if you don't feel you are getting the quality of care you desire.  I hope and pray you have a healthy baby.
I am about 8 1/2 weeks along and started bleeding pretty heavy last week.  I went to the ER and was given an exam and an ultrasound, both of which showed good news.  My cervix was closed and the ultrasound showed the fetal pole, yolk sac, and heartbeat at 120 beats per minute.  I have been spotting brown blood since the ER trip but only when I wipe.  I have not had any spotting on my pads.  However, this morning after my bowel movement, I passed a blood clot abou the size of a quarter.  I have not called the doctor yet, as I'm scheduled for another ultrasound tomorrow and a prenatal visit.  The doctor currently has me on bed rest, which means I can't do anything but lie around.  It's getting old, but I just pray that everything is OK.  I went through my first round of INVITRO fertilization in June and this is my first pregnancy.  My husband and I have been trying to conceive for years.  We were so happy to have a positive pregnancy test and now I'm experiecing bleeding.
I am 15 weeks and 2 days pregnant and I have been bleeding on and off since I was about 8 weeks pregnant. I have what they call a sub chorionic hemorage. I am not allowed to lift much of anything and this morning I passed my first blood clot. I am a worry wart so I was pretty worked up about it. I have been getting ultrasounds every 2 weeks since 8 weeks and I see my doctor weekly. I also have diabetes so I'm on 4 shots a day and it has been a real trip with this pregnancy. I lost my first one back in March due to miscarrage. It's been a real rollercoaster ride since then. The baby's handling the bleeding and the hemorage very well this time around though and I wish the best to you ladies with you difficulties! Hopefully we all get healthy babies! It's a tough road but it makes us stronger mothers!

Melissa*
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.