Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

Stretch and sweep?

I'm 37 weeks and have an appt tomorrow at which my OB said he'll check me and stretch me (he did not mention a sweep). I'm anxious to be checked but don't want to be stretched yet as I have another week of work to make it through and I  read that a stretch and sweep usually induces labor in the first 36 hours if it's successful. Also I'd like her to stay in there a little while longer. Obviously he won't stretch me if I don't want him to but I'm afraid that then he won't check me either and I really want to know if I'm starting to dilate at all. Anyone had a stretch and sweep preformed? If so what week and did it work?
So don't get a stretch and sweep done if you don't want it then.
He'll likely check you even if you don't have it done especially if you ask to be checked.
My doctors only offer a stretch at 38 weeks and on. I haven't heard of it be really successful it just gets things moving so your not likely to go much past 40 weeks.
Oh god that crap hurt and didn't even work with my second
I've had it done twice. It hurts a lot!!! And neither one did anything. I was just in pain all day after from them both. They only work in a percentage of women. Not worth it, in my opinion.
I have never heard of this 'stretch and sweep'... What is it? I have had 3  babies and am on pregnancy #5.
LadyWillow: The Dr with stretch your cervix and separate or "sweep" the membranes between the cervix and amniotic sac. This is done manually during a pelvic exam. From what I've read it's successful in starting labor about 25% of the time. Update: I did not have it done at 37 weeks as mentioned above but I did have it done on Friday at 38 weeks 1 day. I work night shift and had worked the night before so I went to bed when I got home from my appt. I woke up with moderate cramping a few times but nothing painful. The cramps continued for about 12 hours becoming less strong gradually and I had a small amount of bloody discharge. Other than that no results to report.
I'm sure if you tell your doctor your concern he'll just check you. I think it's a bit odd to get a sweep so early anyways unless for extreme pregnancy situations like GD (instead of being induced). However the sweep did work for me but I had it done at 40w2d and it brought on strong contractions almost immediately and I went into active labor 5 hrs later. It's not pleasant at all I was 3cm when she did it and went straight to a 4. And I only asked for it because they wanted to induce the next day due to hypertension. You seem to want to wait anyways which I would recommend, let that baby cook a bit more. :)
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.