allergy issues

I am not pregnant yet but I am planning to try and conceive in the near future. I have always heard that you are not supposed to take any medication. I want to know, is there any alternative if you have to take allergy medication? The only reason I ask is because my eyes swell, I sneeze non-stop, and if I get over heated I weeze and cough a lot. I was thinking maybe a allergy shot could be a alternative to oral medication and nasal spray.
I took all of my medications until I got a positive pregnancy test. After that I stopped but I'm sure you can talk to your doctor about what's safe after you conceive. I know people that take allergy medication while pregnant but I don't you can in the first trimester.
If you can take allergy shots and clear up the allergies well before getting pregnant, I certainly would do it.  It will help you for the rest of your life.  Zyrtec is expensive!!  lol

Talk to your ob-gyn to know of any safety windows regarding allergy shots and pregnancy, and especially find out if the meds you take for your allergies are dangerous to the embryo and fetus if you do get pregnant.  Very important.

Good luck!
Benadryl is fine I take it I have crazy allergies all the time to
I have horrible allergies...seasonal and to lots of other stuff.  Benadryl is safe according to my OB, and I have been using it often throughout my pregnancy.  He also recommended a generic Zyrtec for the tougher days or seasons, and baby and I are fine at 24 weeks.  Healthy mama makes healthy baby in most cases, so don't be afraid to discuss this with your doctor even before you conceive.  Best wishes:-)

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.