Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

diabetes

I just found out I have gestational diabetes. I have been tracking my sugars for two weeks now. For the most part they are good but I have had some higher than they should be. I have a feeling I am going to have to go on insulin...I find out tomorrow so I'm freaking out. Has anybody had to go on insulin when pregnant? If so what is it like?
Try going on a strict low carb diet like paleo or atkins, drink plenty of water, and work out a minimum of 30 minutes a day. Then monitor how your body reacts and make sure to test your sugar in fasted state (morning on an empty stomach), and 2 hrs after each meal.

I was diagnosed pre-pregnancy and after going paleo and working out, I am off all meds and my sugar readings are in the lower spectrum of normal non-diabetic range. I prefer paleo over atkins because it stresses the importance of eating clean, organic, hormone free, minimally processed foods.

Ask your doctor if you can try this for two weeks, just remember it's a commitment,  but will be worth it for your baby.

Good luck, I wish you the best!
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.