Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

epidural

Anyone planning on getting a epidural? Or any mom's already have had one? Should I expect alot of pain when and if I get one? Any advice on it? I was reading pros and cons. I really want to try natural but I'm keeping a open mind. I can handle pain but I don't know what labor feels liken I might be begging for pain relief. Lol
No. There is no real pain associated with the actual epidural. The local anesthetic does burn a little. My only recommendation is to try and sit up during the procedure if they will let you. It was done vertical with my 1st son but I was asked to lay on my side with my 2nd son and it was more unpleasant. The relief is instantaneous, though.
I somewhat disagree with waiting as long as possible. I waited the first time and it was quite difficult to sit still hunched over during painful contractions. That was my first birth. My second was done laying down also. I believe that was actually a spinal block and not an epidural but I never asked. It was scary cause I didn't know what was going on because it wasn't like the first time. My last birth, I allowed a student to do the epidural and she kept doing it wrong and I was in so much pain. I had literally a 3x3 inch square bruise on my back after. This time, no students allowed and I will allowed so for relief when I start feeling uncomfortable instead of in horrible paid  
Thanks for the input ladies. I'm thinking epidural
I plan on doing it natural,  I have a 2nd cousin who is paralyzed from having one and the thought of that scares me more than the pain of bringing my son into this world
The epadural feels like a bee sting in ur back but once u get it u don't feel any pain.
I had an epidural and it did not hurt
An hour after pushing it fell out so I was then given a spinal/epidural combo. Pain free delivery!!!
My hospital gives it.to you So it wears.off by push time. I'm not trying.tl be a hero So I'll take the drugs.please!!!!!
The weirdest thing about an epidural is feeling the tube go in between ur spinal disks. It's not particularly painful as it is just plain f-ing strange. Also, after a certain point in ur labor, the option to have one will b gone. That's another thing u need to consider. I'm also thinking of trying it natural after two with an epidural but since idk how the labor itself will go, I'm not setting anything in stone.
I got an epidoral with my first,and my other 2 i didnt..u really dont feel nothing at all,they have to be telling u when to push cuz u dont feel no contraccions..with my other 2,i waz 2 dilated i couldnt get one..with this current pregnancy am acctually thinking not to get one,i hope i can hang,amean labor is really painful,but since i know i made it twice,ama try my best to not get nothing,i noticed when u feel the pain,labor is faster..good luck in your choice:)
Awwe I will never get a epidural again both times I got it I had the worst reactions you can get.. The first time wasn't as bad as the second the second was so scary I literally almost died my blood presher dropped to like 80/60 and I was in and out of black outs I also couldn't breath or hardly talk I felt like my skin was crawling with bugs and I could stop scratching my self the next day I had cuts all over my body from my own fingernails... The Dr said they may have done the needle to high or I was having a sever allergic reaction... Either way I'm anti epidural ... We were made to do it naturally so this time that's what I'm going to do
Ahh I'm getting freaked out lol. For those that didn't have a epidural. Did you tear? How was it when they had to sew you up?
(Delayed, I know but I just remembered in reference to comment above: a spinal block has the potential for paralysis if done improperly. Not an epidural.)
P.s. u may or may not tear regardless of if u have an epidural or not. Epidurals limit contraction pain...basically numb u from the waist down.
Mother of four here! 36+ weeks with #5 and we. Are. Done. Lol... Three out of four of my kids were all natural. No nothing. With my third l & d, they said I had to have a c-section. I refused. (I have VERY quick labors) They said for me to at LEAST get an epidural so that if there WAS an emergency, they could rush me back and get the c-section done. I finally agreed to the epidural. I was between 7 and 8 cm by the time they did it. And let me tell ya somethin: There is no better feeling in the whole world. I have it in my birth plan now, to receive an epidural no sooner than 6-7cm. But that I definitely want one. I personally feel that it's better for the baby to come in to a nice, calm birthing environment. As opposed to the screaming, people telling you to breath, chaos, ect... Just my experiences/opinion. Whichever you choose, you'll make the right decision. It's YOUR l & d. There are no wrong answers. =)
I got it with my first baby and I still tore down there. And it also caused me to be super duper constipated! every time I tried to poop I was literally crying and almost yelling from the pain. It totally sucked. My poor baby was super constipated as well...with this one I'm HOPING AND PRAYING I can take the pain and do without!! But we will wait and see..
Oh and I also believe it slows down ur labor since u can't feel any contractions any more. Especially since I got mine super last minute (8 cen. Dialated)
Got an epidural this morning for the birth of my son,  it stopped me from feeling the contractions, but I felt every bit of the pain from pushing. Plus it made my son's heart rate drop down into the 80's
I loved my epidural! Instant relief, definitely going to get it again, I had no problems whatsoever. It was scary having contractions when they put it in, but well worth it in my opinion. I couldnt feel anything at all.
I tear with 2,my first witn the epidoral witch didnt feel nothing at all,and the second,witch didnt got no epidoral,,but as soon as u give birth is such a relive that nothing else matters,it felt really warm and felt the pinches when the dr. Waz sewing me,in my esperience  waz just minor pain
I'm having my first baby due Nov. 2nd and I'm having an epidural!
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.