MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

hot bath and shower while pregnant?

Hello ladies I'm 32 weeks pregnant and like taking hot showers and bath most of the time . Is this harmful for the baby? Have anybody else took hot bath or showers or take them?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Not long after falling pregnant I ended up passing out in the shower as it was too hot.. I love hot showers, but I'm trying to have them a bit colder now.. the baby is ok, but it scared me something shocking. I always have a slightly cooler shower now, make sure I drink a glass of water before jumping in and generally sit on the base of the shower as it calms me down
Helpful - 0
I take warm shower wash all the yuk off then I run a hath slightly warmer its only thing that relax muscles calms down baby some so I can get sleep at night my doctor told just so not over 100 degrees its fine I have had major back pain since my way before my first son actually since my teens I developed fast chest wise and in size but stayed skinny in waist first four of  puberty which contributed to my back pain some meds have never helped exercise  losing weight has not either etc. Only warm showers and baths have. So I know how bad terrible back pain is my doctor also told me only do a bath after a quick shower only a few times a week shower can be everyday just not the bath . but I would ask ur doctor and see how he feels about it and if it would not affect you cause each pregnancy is different and what might affect one person might not affect another. Hope this helps .
Helpful - 0
I love hot baths I take one almost every night its the only way to get my back to stop hurting I was told 98-100 degrees is fine. Even when u do a water birth that's the temp they keep the water between
Helpful - 0
My OB said nothing over 100 degrees shower Or bath. Bath are good to relax muscles. Always as your doctor
Helpful - 0
I'm with u I love them and I always have most people can't stand the water temperature when It's my turn to shower taking a shower with my 3yr old is hard sometimes cause she complains about the heat so I have to have it colder lol but baths I don't think u r supposed to take many baths at all anyway..maybe ask ur doc u don't want ur water to break and u not know it!
Helpful - 0
Potentially end in***

Sorry. Was texting too fast I guess. Lol
Helpful - 0
Hot showers/baths raise your blood pressure. That's what more harmful to the baby than the actual heat. Being pregnant has already raised your core temperature and blood pressure because your body is having to produce more blood for the baby. If you raise it too high you run a big risk of getting dizzy and falling or passing out which could ptentially endn you losing the baby. I love hot showers and never noticed they were so hot before. To help you can get a shower thermometer.  They're pretty nifty and don't cost much. It'll tell you how hot the water is. Just make sure it's no hotter than your own temp and you'll be fine.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.