pain & fear

I just found out im dilated to a 3 and my due date is 5 days away. We went to the hospital because my contractions got extremely painful like I felt like her head was going to pop out , the pain ran through my hips and down my legs. Lasted a hour. contracted the whole time in the hospital but was sent home due to no progress in dilation. Im feeling it again they told me to come bk if theres blood of my water breaks or to the point my pain is much worse.  Im freaking out this is pain! I felt good about labor until today it isn't a joke nor easy :(
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Stay at home aa long as possible. Being strapped to a bed totally sucked. I wanted to jumo up and down and move around. I was totally uncomfortable,  obviously having a baby isn't comfortable but i felt if i was in control of my own body i would have been more comfortable.
Helpful - 0
For me it really was about the insurance.  Insurance companies set forth guidelines for what they will and won't pay for.  I had to appeal some things with my pregnancy that the hospital did that my insurance didn't want to cover.  THAT was a holy pain!!

But before the baby comes is different than after the baby is born.  So, agree that she should be a squeaky wheel.  However, I think the best place to be extremely vocal is with your ob.  The hospital was not letting me stay or willing to induce me---  the doctor had to do that.  And when I got there on Saturday, I still wasn't very dilated due to the latent phase labor and the labor and delivery nurses in triage were talking about sending me home again.  I asked for the doctor on call from my ob practice who came and admitted me for induction.  good luck
Helpful - 0
It's actually not about the insurance.  Hospitals just don't want to put in the work. They are responsible the entire time you are there. If they have stopped then no need to worry.  However if they are continuing and you would be more comfortable laboring at the hospital then that is your right. But it is certainly best to labor at home as long as you can stand.
Helpful - 0
I think the issue is actually insurance and what they will pay for.  That was the case for me.   I needed my insurance to pay the tab as I couldn't foot the hospital bill myself.  But that is after the baby.

I also went to the hospital on a Friday in pain with contractions every 5 minutes but I was not very dilated.  They sent me home to labor at home.  most feel like laboring at home is better than the hospital.  I don't know about.  :>((  But what they gave me was a sleeping pill to go home with as I wasn't sleeping.  I had my baby Sunday morning as I was actually having latent phase labor.  So, my cervix wasn't going to open up easily.  I went back to the hospital Saturday night by doctor request when I called to check in and they induced me to finish the process.  

Child birth is rough.  No doubt about it.  But women have been doing it forever.  You'll get through it and the mind is an amazing thing.  You forget all about the pain and go on to have more kids (because if we remember how much pain it was, we might not choose to do that!).  Hang in there.

I liked a warm bath when I was laboring and for my husband to give me back rubs.  I have the issue of vomiting when in pain so won't lie, it was not my finest hours.  But, you live to tell about it.  peace and luck

Helpful - 0
When they try*
Helpful - 0
Pain tolerance is great but labor is a monster all it's own lol. You can decline when they to send you home. Just say you are in too much pain to take the trip. So if you do feel the need to return.  Stick to your guns. You are allowed to labor in the hospital as long as your body needs.
Helpful - 0
Sorry everyone my phone is glitching pretty bad :/
Helpful - 0
Thank you ladies!  
I see my OB tomorrow so fingers crossed .
the contractions have eased off but I have been waking up at night in pain waiting for them to pass I don't know if any of you I've had like a real bad miscarry but I have enough to exactly what it feels like I do reside in Arizona and I really like my hospital it's all about the babies timing and I hope she comes soon.    I guess you could say I have a high tolerance for pain so that's why I guess I'm so surprised how painful it is
Helpful - 0
Where are you from that they let this happen to you?
Helpful - 0
You should go back to the hospital.
Helpful - 0
Oh dear God, i dont understand why they would release you if you're dilated and you go for week/s with contractions? How is that tolerable? No risk of infection? I wish you the best of luck! Ask your significant other for a massage... change position, dont just lay flat...you'll soon hold your baby girl
Helpful - 0
I was dilated at a 7 for a week! :/
Helpful - 0
I am 4cm dilated and was sent home because I wasn't progressing. Try a warm shower and let the water hit where you are having contractions if that doesn't help and you are still in terrible pain it wouldn't hurt to go back you could have progressed
Helpful - 0
kt6
I dont want to put u of but i was 3cm dilated 2 weeks b4 my due date and was told that baby would come b4 then. He was 2 weeks late so i was 3cm for 4 weeks. Your not classes as in labour untill 4cm and as long as waters have not broke you can be 3cm for however long. Goodkuck xx
Helpful - 0
Good luck! Hope it all goes well
Helpful - 0
You should squat in between contractions it will help you open up
Helpful - 0
Forgot to mention when I pee I start contracting and I get the feeling to push-normal?  -not feeling so well
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.