MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

plus size trying to conceive

i have been overweight since like forever, and in the last two months I gained more weight due to some very stressful events in my life ,
i'm on clomid for the second month now as we r trying to get pregnant , I had 100 mg of clomid for 5 days this month ...according to my ovulation test I did ovulate ..
My question is, Could being obese or overweight prevent me from getting pregnant if i was ovulating ??
Best Answer
Im obese and it took us three years to conceive. Right before I did not diet just ate healthy all the time. If you want it bad enough you'll do it. I did some babysitting and only lose about twenty pounds but got pregnant!  Even if you do get pregnant you need to think about the health of your baby and good eating habits need to become a new lifestyle change.  Being overweight and pregnant is very hard! More pains, more complications. Next time I try im going to really lose more weight. Good luck.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Weight Is Not Always The Issue. My Dr Told Me My Weight Might Be The Reason I Want Getting Preg. Found Out Want Ovulating. 5 Months Clomid And I'm Now Pregnant. It Took A While But The End Result Was Well Worth It. For Me It Happened When I Relaxed A Bit About Wanting It. I Was Stressing Myself Out Wanting So Bad That The Stress Made It Not Happen I Guess. So I Would Say Relax And Stay Positive. :)
Helpful - 0
I am obese and my fiance had slow swimmers... He was told because of his swimmers he would never have kids. After we got in a relationship we looked it up online how to improve his swimmers abilities, eat bananas, pomagrante juice, wear loose underwear, and elevate you during the deed.. took us 1 month to become pregnant... I am now 27 weeks..
Helpful - 0
I'm obese and had no problem getting pregnant either time, so I don't think it's all weight related. That said, there are lots of fertility diets that are supposed to be effective- going gluten free is supposed to make a big difference and did for several friends of mine who had years of fertility issues. Don't lose hope :)
Helpful - 0
Before I got pregnant with my first, I was getting depressed because it wasn't happening for us. A friend of mine suggested that I try and just lose 10 lbs, she said that for some reason losing just a small amount of weight told your body that it might  be time to have a baby. I said what the hell and tried really hard and lost a little bit if weight and bingo, got pregnant right  away.
Helpful - 0
thanks a lot ..i will try my best...the baby i had lost was my second one ,..i had a miscarriage about 4 years ago too ...so I really got very depressed..eating is the only joy i'm having ...but I will try ...Thanks a lot
Helpful - 0
KieaRai is right, a lot of times when you feel super hungry it just might be because you need to drink water! Also, try not to rest close to the time you go to bed. It's really hard work to have a healthy diet and get in shape but it's doable, i know you can do it! Just think positive.=)
Helpful - 0
thank you so much ..u r so sweet ..i really appreciate your support ...and for sure i will let you know if i needed any extra help :)
Helpful - 0
Awww I'm sorry about what you are going through =( i used to be 208 pounds and I'm only 4'10....it was also because i was pennant with my son at the time. It took about six years back and forth to get down to 120 and boom i got pregnant, now I'm almost 170 ugh. If you do eat healthier, try to work out also because if you start eating unhealthy again the weight will add on quicker. Good luck to you and I'm sure everything will work out.
Helpful - 0
You're not bad off. About 120 - 140 would be a really good weight range for you. I had 2 miscarraiges and got super depressed for a while too. So soon after a still birth your body may just not be ready yet even though you want to. The diet thing is the hardest and aside from eating more fruits and veggies I didn't change mine too much. Try making you plate like you normally would, then take half of that off and put it back. Most of the battle is controlling portions. Also, if you're just a little hungry you're actually probably just thirsty. So drink water unless you're truly hungry. Staying hydrated will help your colon clear better. Some people can carry up to 10 lbs of waste in their colons. Add a little more fiber if that be the case. That fiber one stuff you put in your drink works beautifully for me. We're here if you need us. I'm always checking my inbox so you can message if you need extra support. We'll help out however we can. :)
Helpful - 0
Thanks guys for your sweet helpful replies ...actually I dont know how bad my obesity is to prevent or not me from being pregnant
my BMI is about 32 i think ..180 lbs for 5,3 tall
I will try to work on my diet but with all the stress in my life i just find it the hardest job to do ...
I had a stillborn about 5 months ago ...and all I want in my life now is ep get pregnant again :(
Helpful - 0
Yeah just try to eat healthier, i lost twenty pounds and got pregnant right away!
Helpful - 0
I was ovulating just fine and my husbands boys were performing above average. I had doctors stumped forever. I wasn't even that bad overweight (180 lbs when I should have been 150) and was ticked when my 300lb doc with 5 kids told me I was just too fat to get pregnant. We moved right after that so I didn't have to deal with her anymore. By all account, everything in my body was working perfectly, I just wasn't concieving. My own medical training is what I drew from to start eating better and exercising. For some women it is purely a mental thing when it comes to not being able to concieve. But yeah, make sure both of you are checked out. I assumed you'd already done that because most docs here won't start you on fertility treatments unless you've tried everything else including check ups.
Helpful - 0
We took clomid at first to try to get pregnant and I never ovulated on it.    When we went to the fertility specialist  I was worried about my weight.  They told me with today's technology weight is no longer a issue.  They ran test    and  they couldn't figure out why I wasn't ovualting.  All my test came back fine.    That's when they told us about Ivf.   We did ivf/icis  and it worked the first time.  What I'm trying to say is do not feel discouraged because of your weight.   And also remember make sure your partner gets a sperm count check, bc not only was i not ovualting his swimmers were not moving as fast.     But  stay postive! Wish you plenty of baby dust!
Helpful - 0
Thank you a lot for ur sweet reply ...Can i ask you if you were ovulating when u were on Clomid 100 mg ? or it didnt work out for the ovulation as well??
Helpful - 0
Yes and no. I had the same problem being overweight due to medication. It's more or less a combination of your weight, eating habits, and exercise routine. I was told I couldn't get pregnant and tried for years. Finally just happened. Basically you just need to exercise your *** off and try to get back to a healthier level. I know it's hard. You think about all the alcoholics and drug addicts who pop out kids like pez when you know their bodies are more stressed than yours and it doesn't seem fair. I was on clomid 100mg before and did 3 months. It never worked. I got pissed. Once I gave up and started focusing on myself rather than what I thought should have been happening it got better. So I just wouldn't worry about it because that stress is keeping your weight on too. Say eff it, do your own thing, revamp your entire diet so that it's healthier, and get on an exercise plan that's good for you. When your body is finally comfortable with it, a baby will happen.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.