Pregnancy: Am I Pregnant? Community

how long after you miss your period should you take pregnancy test

i am new to the site and was hoping someone could clarify some information. i am currently ttc and am 6 days late for my period i have taken pregnancy tests x2 both bfn. i was told by friends i should wait at least 2 weeks after i miss my period to take the test is this correct? a family member just tested positive after 1 day late. i am so confused and disappointed at this point. thanks
most of them are accurate the first day after you miss your period. some are accurate as early as 5 days before your period is due. you definitely don't have to wait 2 weeks.. if your cycles are generally regular and your test is negative you may want to see a dr. to find out what is going on. i know all about being disappointed by a negative test. good luck to you and let us know how it goes.
You definately don't have to wait 2 weeks. I got a bfp 5 days before my period was due with my son with one of those test meant to be taken before.
Mandi
I usually know before the period is due, and have tested before the date and once it came up positive within seconds and during another pregnancy it didn't show until a week after I was due for my period.  It all depends on your body and the level of the pregnancy hormone in your body  - which is what the tests go off of, a low HCG level may not show on a HPT, but it doesn't mean you are not pregnant - you may have to wait a little longer.  GOOD LUCK and let us know.
it depends on how sensitive the test is and how late you are. at 6 days late one would think you would get a BFP if you are PG. some woman have taken a week to 10 days before getting it. if you are very regular and go over 10 days late and still get a BFN call your doc. they will do a blood HCG to see if you are PG and if not can give you provera to start your cycle. i hope this helped and tons of baby dust...i am TTCing too.

love and hugs....kimmie
actually clear blue easy digital caught my BFP at 15 mIU/ml....the lowest yet that i have found in my research

kimmie
I have looked on the web and discovered that the best over the counter hpt is e.p.t.  The site stated that e.p.t. can detect the lowest hcg amount compared to other tests.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.