Pregnancy: Am I Pregnant? Community

pregnancy after tubal ligation

I had my tubes tied 11 years ago.  I have had symptoms of pregnancy for about a week and a half.  Bloating, constipation, throwing up, tender breasts, etc.  I had a blood test done two days ago that came back negative, but my period isn't due for another 5 days.  My last period came two weeks early and wasn't very heavy.  How often do tubes come untied?  And could I be pregnant even though the blood test came back negative?  Could have been to early for it to show even with a blood test, because I sure feel pregnant.
a blood test can detect a pregnancy as early as 5 days after ovulation. basically because it once you ovulate and the sperm and egg meet it takes about 5 days for the egg to implant itself and that is when the hcg hormone starts being produced.

that being said....if you ovulated late it is possible that the blood test could have been wrong it just depends on when you ovulated.  however after 11 years (i'm betting) it is unlikely that your tubes came untied.

good luck to you, let us know what you find out.
~nanci
thanks I will let you know what i find out.  But I did find an article on the net that said after 10 years your chances of tubes coming untied more than triples the chances of them coming untied within the first 5 years.  
Subject: Pregnacy after tubal ligation
Topic Area: Pregnancy - Abnormal
Forum: The Maternal and Child Health Forum
Question Posted By: Tamm on Sunday, April 25, 1999

Posted by Tamm on April 25, 1999 at 14:03:41
I had a tubal ligation about 13 months ago..I recently went into see my dr with abnormal symtoms in my cycle ( server cramps, heavy bleeding large clots) He informed me that I was miscarring. I had blood work done that showed a high level of pregestrone, which confirmed his diagnosis. Could you please explain how this happened and if it could happen again?
Thank you

I found the article that I was looking at earlier on the net.  I copied it and pasted it here. Let me know what you think and I will let u know what I find out. Thank you for your help I realy appriciated it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by hfhs.md.rcs on April 26, 1999 at 23:51:24
Dear Tamm:
Tubal ligation has a known failure rate that is 1-3/1000 women in the first 5 years and 10/1000 women by 10 years.

If the portion of the tube attached to the uterus unseals or the ends of the tube grow together, there is a pathway for sperm and egg to meet.

Keywords: tubal ligation failure

This information is provided for education purpose and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questons please speak with your physician.

Hey It is possible!! I know a lady who had her tubes tied her dd was 19 and she was pregnant with another I think she had her tubes tied for 15 years!!
My husband had a vasectomy  and I have a 3 month old so nothing is impossible!
This time i got my tubes tied and between that and dh vasectomy it better work!!
But blood tests are accurate for pregnancy but just keep a check on things
umm I have 4 kids had my tubes tied 2 years ago and have had no period in almost 2 months is it possibe i could be pregnant?? anyone HELP
Yes it is possible I have 4 kids and am now 16wks.3dys pregnant,I had my tubes tied when I had my son 11yrs ago and even took 6 pregnancy test and all said neg and the 7th at the doctors office was also neg and that was at 7wks and now here I am pregnant and I also have bled every month as is on a perod and that has happened to me with my 3rd pregnancy I bled 5 mnths and never knew I was pregnant until going to the doc and having a lood test done b/c I felt lousy and did'nt know what was wrong with me...and my sil was on the shot and had her blood testedand urine test done at the doc and the test came back neg also and she was 4months pregnant.

So trust your body and don't take no for an answer.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.