unusually late period but negative pregnancy test?

Hi! It's my first time posting--hello everyone!
Just have a question that someone might be able to help with...
Ever since I got married I have had a VERY regular 28 day menstrual cycle--never late, never early.
We are trying to get pregnant, and today I am at least five to six days late for my period.
I did a pregnancy test this morning that came up negative.
How reliable is that result since I usually have such a normal cycle?
I don't have any other symptoms besides frequent urination and butterflies in my stomach that could just be from the excitement of the whole situation.
So I guess my question is whether or not it is "worth it" to take another pregnancy test; if so, when; or, what else could even be the cause of such a delay in my usually predictable period?
Thanks for any comments, etc!
Katie L.
So great to find this site - My story is that I was diagnosed with PCOS about 20years ago, (I'm 39yrs now) but for the last 5 years have been as regular as clockwork.  In 2001, I fell preganant by 'accident', thinking that it wouldn't happen 'naturally', my husband and I were of course delighted.  Our daughter is now 2.5yrs old and we decided to start trying for No. 2 in the Dec 03 cycle, as I know exactly when I'm ovulating, can read my mucas etc. My last period was on 25 Nov 03, it is now Jan 16th 04 and haven't had a period since 25/11/03.  I went for both a urine and blood test 1st week Jan and both were negative.  I have been very crampy, boobs feel full and have been extremely tired, plus my abdomen seems 'swollen' and feel sure I might be pregnant, but no real medical evidence to prove it!!??.  I did a home urine test yesterday, and it was negative again !  feeling down and not really sure what's going on as this seems highly irregular, particularly given that we were 'officially trying in Dec and no period since ?!.  Plan to go back to the Dr at the end of Jan 04.  I have heard so many stores about negative tests (both urine and blood) when people actually were pregnant ! Any comments/feedback welcome.
Hi everyone,
    I am 5 days late on my period, have tender breast, and crampy.  I had very light spotting between periods, approximately 10 days ago.  I took a HPT and it was negative.  I am always like clockwork and have NEVER been late, except for my first pregnancy 7 years ago, which resulted in miscarriage.  I am confused and concerned because I am 35, I have blocked fallopian tubes and my chances of becoming pregnant are through IVF.  I guess I am hoping for a miracle but again, I am also concern because if I am not pregnant, could I be experiencing Ovulation failure? Please share your thoughts
Jinny
Thank God I am not alone waiting! I am in the same boat. My period was supposed to be on Jan. 5 still I am late. I had done more than 14 pregnancy test with the same results negative, My appt. with the doctor is on Jan. 27. I cant't hardly wait. I am 41 years old waiting to have my second baby. Should I give up!
I want to know if anyone got good news after waiting this long?
Good luck!
Alexamia
My name is Erin and I am having a problem. I think I am pregnant because I have been having alot of symptoms. I took a pregnancy test 10 days after I thought I might have gotten pregnant and it came out negative. I am so confussed. I feel pregnant but I dont know now. Maby I took the test too early? If any one has been through this please give me some advise!
Thanx
Erin
I am so glad I found this site. I had a misscarriage in October 2003, so my husband and I waited until I had 2 normal periods before we tried again. My last period was December 12 and I am very regular(every 28 days)so I am about 13 days late. I have taken 3 pregnancy test all have come up negative. I have been very tired the last 3 weeks and my breast have felt very full and now they look extremly vainy. Is it possible to be this late and so many negative test and still be pregnant?
Hello all

I have four children and am now late on my period (around 5 days late) I usually have fairly regular periods, however the last two weeks I have been suffering from swollen breasts, extreme nausea at various times in the day, exhaustion and an aversion to alcohol (this only usually happens when I am pregnant).

You would think after having four children I would 'know' the feeling of pregnancy and I do, but have taken two hp tests and both come up negative, had some cramping and very slight blood stained clear mucus on the day my period should have arrived but nothing else.   This is driving me insane, my body is telling me i'm pregnant but the tests are saying no, please can anybody offer any advice.

many thanks.

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Am I Pregnant? Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.