Pregnancy: April 2014 Babies Community
166 Members

due date

My tracker on here shows a due date of 4/21. When I went to the dr the first time, the nurse practitioner was almost spot on to the wame date. I got my first ultrasound between 7 & 8 wks. The tech also confirmed a due of 4/21. When I met with the dr at 10wks, she said ok I see 4/21 so we are going to say your due date is 4/22 from here on out no matter what any future ultrasounds say. Why did she add a day? Which one should I really go by?
The reason she said it won't change from now on out is because after  a while some babies grow faster and some grow slower than average, but in early pregnancy estimated due dates are more likely to be correct.  So they stick with the earlier ultrasound measurements when projecting due dates.  

The difference between one day and the next, when it comes to due dates, is actually no difference at all.  I don't know why she said "we are going to say it is the 22nd," but it actually doesn't matter.  She didn't change it by weeks, she changed it by one day.  You could go into labor on the 21st and deliver on the 22nd.  Or you could go into labor on the 18th, or the 24th.  The baby is not in your uterus reading a calendar and refusing to come until the doctor said it was OK.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.