I have given it a lot of thought and I have worked 12 years in the medical industry. YES, I am going to get it. Rather be safe than sorry. Esp, since I have a toddler who happens to bring home the flu every winter.
I'm so nervous about it. I was hit with Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS) after my last miscarriage. Not to make anyone paranoid, but GBS, and autoimmune disease, often occurs after receiving vaccines so I need to check with my neurologist first. My appointment is at the end of August, so that gives me some time to think about it. I guess if I was at high risk for exposure (working in a hospital, school, etc), I would get it. Also, by the time it's out, we'll all be well into our 2nd trimester which sounds like it's the safest time in pregnancy to be exposed to things (surgery, etc). From what I've read, first trimester is too tenuous and too easy to miscarry and third trimester is too easy to trigger preterm labour, etc. Hopefully they'll have more info for us to research before making a decision. In the end though, getting the vaccine must be a heck of a lot safer than getting the flu itself.
Hey, anyone else want to start a trend of wearing gloves? I wonder what impact it would have on reducing the spread of the disease? I swear that during the winter I will not be taking my gloves off in busy places. Once bitten (with Guillain Barre Syndrome), one billion times shy!
Some health officials are now recommending that people get three flu shots this flu season. The first two shots for H1N1 specifically, and one shot for the seasonal flu. However, the shots won’t be available in the US until mid October. I am taking steps to prepare myself now, instead of waiting on the vaccines. I have created a H1N1 emergency kit that includes a 2 weeks supply of food and water, myclyns personal spray, cold medicines and fever reducers, Gatorade, and a T-5000 respirator mask.
Interesting that this came back up today. I was at the OB today and they gave me my regular flu shot. They asked if I wanted the Swine Flu shot, and I freaked out b/c I hadn't decided yet and I was planning to wait until October when it came out to decide. They didn't have it, it turned out, she was just asking, but she gave me a whole bunch of flu info and the Dr. said that if I have any cold-like symptoms (besides what I might experience over the next couple days from the vaccine) I am to call the office immediately and they will prescribe tamiflu to start taking before they even test me.
They said they want me to get vaccinated as soon as the H1N1 vaccine is sent out... I guess I'll probably do it... it just makes me nervous.
By the way, if you have forgotten - flu shots hurt! My arm has been throbbing for the past 10 hours! But I am sure it is worth it so I don't get sick.
I recently read an article that said that overuse of antiviral medications like Tamiflu and Relenza could potentially ease the way for drug resistant strains of H1N1. The CDC and WHO are recommending that patients with mild to moderate symptoms should not take antiviral medication. Just a thought.