Pregnancy: Feb 2011 Babies Community
98 Members

feeding

lexie turns 10 month on wed and latly shes been really off her milk i offer it in the day but she'll only drink it if shes sleepy resulting in her only having 7oz a day.
she drinks plenty of juice and water just wonderd if this was normal at her age.
My oldest weaned himself at 10 1/2 months. Maybe she's self weaning.
Try cutting out the juice and water. Juice really isn't good for them anyway. She is much better off having milk. I assume it's formula or breastmilk and not cows milk?
I haven't given Emily juice because I'm scared she might not take milk later on And just prefer juice.  I've tried giving her water but she doesn't really like it.

Question. Stupid q's sorry. But I was wondering,  If I give her juice does it have to be the baby kind or can it be the one we drink and just mix in water for it not to be to concentrated?
Not stupor question at all. You can give what you drink. I'd just water it down. The baby juices are just watered down version of ours. Also make sure there is no artificial sweeteners in it
Here is some info on juice: A new study conducted by Consumer Reports has found that 10 percent of juice on the market today has total arsenic levels greater than that allowed by the Food and Drug Administration for drinking water. The study also found that 25 percent of juice has levels of lead higher than that allowed for bottled drinking water.
Consumer Reports tested 88 of the most popular apple and grape juice brands, including Mott’s, Minute Maid and Welch’s. While there are two known types of arsenic (inorganic and organic), the majority of the arsenic found was inorganic, which means they are a human carcinogen. Human carcinogens involve any substance known to cause cancer in humans.
The study was prompted by a Dr. Oz episode in which the famous doctor revealed he had found arsenic in juices he and his team tested, a conclusion that was met with ferver from people such as ABC News’ Chief Health and Medical Editor Dr. Richard Besser who said Dr. Oz’s findings were “misleading” and “needlessly frightening.” Dr. Besser discussed the new findings on Good Morning America and now takes the position that he feels the FDA provided “faulty” information previously, and that they should hold the juice industry accountable.
“Back in September the FDA made a number of statements that reassured me. I’m much less reassured now. They published the test online, but withheld eight results that were very high,” Besser said, referring to the fact that the FDA previously said all juices sold in stores were safe, but then released a report last week that found eight of the 160 juices they sampled now exceeded their own “level of concern” for total arsenic.
While the FDA has arsenic and lead limits set for drinking water (both tap and bottled), there are no limits in place for juice. According to the FDA, if fruit juice tests at a level of 23 parts per billion (ppb), which is their “level of concern,” they will re-test the juice sample to see if the arsenic is organic or inorganic. However, that number is not mandatory. The advocacy arm of Consumer Reports, called Consumers Union, is asking the FDA to lower that number to three ppb for total arsenic and five ppb for lead in juice.
Dr. Manny Alvarez, senior managing health editor of FoxNews.com, said arsenic levels in juice – at any level – should not be tolerated.
“I don’t want to sound like an alarmist,” Alvarez said in September when Dr. Oz’s findings were first released, “but just look at the growing levels of learning disabilities, autism spectrum disorders and other diseases that seem so prevalent today as compared to decades ago.”
Thanks Sun!
No prob. Glad to help
Annabelle weaned herself from nursing during the day. I thought it odd at first and worried she was done altogether but she still nurses first thing in the morning and before bed. But she takes formula during the day and water with each meal. No juice. She's 10 months... almost :-)
Trh I've heard that is common w working moms around 9 months. Does she nurse more on the weekends?
thanks guys yea shes happy with her juice at the min, had a word with the health visitor and she said it sounds like self weaning and shes drinking cows milk in the day too so health visitor said shell still be getting everything she needs even though shes only having the one bottle of fomula at night.
From what I know, cows milk does not have that many vitamins and minerals to fit the needs of an infant and juice certainly does not. I'm very surprised that they said it was ok for you to give her cows milk. In my opinion it would be much more nutritious for you to to give only formula and water or breastmilk (you can even pump) and water.
Here is a Q&A the answer is answered by world renound Dr Sears Q  My baby is ten and a half months old and has been exclusively breastfed since birth. She refuses formula and bottles defiantly. However, she will drink water, but only from a cup. Recently, she has stopped wanting to nurse, except once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I'd like to give her something other than water, especially at bedtime, to help get her through the night. Our doctor said we could give her a bottle of whole milk, which she tried and liked, but I've been reading that whole milk before one year can be dangerous to her. Is it safe to give her whole milk and, if so, how much?

Cow's milk has gotten an unfair rap lately. Realistically, cow's milk is a very rich source of nutrition in a small package. Milk is high in protein, a healthy carbohydrate called lactose, B-vitamins, vitamin A, vitamin D, and zinc. A guide I give patients in my pediatric practice is: no cow's milk before age one, whole milk until age two, low fat or non-fat milk after that. Once baby is weaned from the breast, 24 ounces of cow's milk or goat's milk a day is plenty.

There are two reasons why the Committee on Nutrition of the American Academy of Pediatrics discourages the use of cow's milk under one year of age: allergies and iron- deficiency anemia. The intestinal lining is slower to mature in some babies than others. While lactose intolerance is rare in infants, some toddlers and older children can develop diarrhea, bloating, and abdominal pain, because of their inability to digest the lactose sugar in milk. Also, the allergic proteins may seep through the irritated intestinal lining into the bloodstream and cause an allergic reaction, such as a runny nose, wheezing, or a red, raised, sandpaper-like rash, especially on the cheeks. Some babies who are allergic to cow's milk can even get frequent ear infections.

Iron-deficiency anemia is another problem, as there is very little iron in cow's milk. If baby is allergic to the cow's milk protein, the irritated intestines may consistently lose a tiny bit of blood into baby's stools.

Because of the concerns about getting too much cow's milk too early, try these recommendations:

Give baby more breastmilk. Since your baby is thriving on your milk, it sounds like you just need to figure out ways of nursing her more often. They like to play a lot during the day and forget to nurse. Twice a day, take her into a dark, quiet room, such as a bedroom or bathroom and get down to the business of nursing. At prescheduled times of the day, snuggle down with her and let her breastfeed off to sleep.

Try iron-fortified formula. While most babies will simply increase the frequency and duration of nursing to meet their needs, if your baby doesn't, suggest trying an iron-fortified DHA/AA-enriched formula. Use a brand recommended by your baby's doctor. If she prefers cow's milk to infant formula, it's okay to give her one or two 8-ounce bottles of cow's milk starting around one year of age. However, consider the bottles of cow's milk as an addition to, but not as a substitute for your more nutritious milk.

When giving her cow's milk, it's best to give her small, frequent feedings by breaking up an eight-ounce bottle into two four-ounce feedings. Smaller feedings enables the intestines to get used to and digest a different type of milk.

Try yogurt. Ounce for ounce, yogurt is more nutritious than cow's milk for three reasons:

Yogurt contains slightly more calcium.
Yogurt contains healthful bacteria that promote intestinal health.
The fermentation process of yogurt breaks down the proteins and the lactose for easier digestion.
Buy organic. When you start cow's milk, it's preferable to buy organic. While milk is an extremely nutritious food, the antibiotics, hormones, and other stuff that are given to some dairy cows nowadays may be harmful. "Certified organic" means there were no hormones or antibiotics added to the cow feed. Another option is to give your baby goat's milk. Goat's milk protein forms a softer and more easily-digestible curd and contains less potentially allergenic proteins.

Finally, once you wean from your milk onto cow's milk, it's necessary to give your baby more iron-containing foods, such as prune juice, iron-fortified cereals, beans, organic meats, lentils, and tofu.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.