mil in delivery room

Should i feel bad for not wanting my mother in law in the delivery room? Shes mad because my mom and sister is going to be in there and she isnt.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
When it comes down to it, its YOUR BODY,.YOUR DECISION. do NOT feel bad about anything. You are the one pushing the baby out,.YOU decide who is going to be in the room.
Helpful - 0
I agree with above poster...also ask if their mother in law was present during their children's births....I bet not!!!
Helpful - 0
My boyfriends mom better not think or assume that I'm calling or inviting her inside my room.  She better hope i let hey come inside my room to see my precious baby.  My mom has passed on so it will just be my daughter and my bf. She was there for his other children's mom so she seen her other grands be born no need to see mine.  On the day of delivery I WILL NOT BE STRESSED, UPSET OR ANGRY and she causes all of the above.  That day is all about me and my new addition. If she or her son don't like it they can stay home.
Helpful - 0
Honestly, with my first child I didn't even notice my MIL was in the room. I was so out of it and trying to focus on what needed to be done that at that point I genuinely didn't care who was in the room. Afterward, I was a little annoyed that she presumed to come in without asking and took very indecent pictures. But I let it go because I had my sweet little one and she's just a minor annoyance.
Helpful - 0
I'm so lucky that after 19 years and onto our 4th baby my MIL still hates me with a vengeance  (nothing ive done either by the way... she just nasty) so I don't have that problem of her wanting to come in. I'm only having my husband and midwife and no one else. I'm such a prude and would be extremely humiliated if anyone else got to see ALL of that lol. And plus it's such a huge personal part of your family journey it's nice to just be you and the dad to share those first precious moments of life. Just put your foot down and sooner rather than later so when the time comes no one is upset...and if they do get upset oh well!!! They will get over it and themselves when they see the baby and if not then why would you want people like that around you anyway. Do what makes you happy coz after all its all about out you till that baby pops out.
Helpful - 0
Wow..I can't even believe it's a question! Absolutely do not have her there if you don't want her. I only ever have my husband, and would not even consider having my own mom, let alone my mother in law. I don't even think she would want to be there! Giving birth is a really personal thing to me. Like someone else said, make your wishes known to the nurses and they will take care of it. They do not need you having extra stress, as it should ONLY be about you and the baby. Honestly, although it is your husband's baby too, this part is not even about him really. He's there to support you. And you are the only one who is going to be pushing a large object out of a very personal part of your body, so everyone should be respecting your wishes. I don't even like having people in the waiting room. I know my mom doesn't like it, but she respects it.
Helpful - 0
I totally feel you. My MIL didn't speak to me for a week because she felt as if I betrayed her... And we're not even close, like at all. My bf and I had a huge argument about the fact that I wanted my mom, dad and him in there. Him and my MIL argued that it's weird if my dad sees everything that I have... He's had 6 kids, and was in the room with my sister, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing he hasn't seen before. Plus I wouldn't want a lady I don't ever agree/get along with to be there. Don't get me wrong she's nice, it's just that she kind of acts like a little kid. I stood my ground and said I'm not going to be stressed in the room, plus I'm the one who has been carrying my daughter around, and my boyfriend totally agrees after some careful consideration on his part cause all he's gonna do is stand there. I know she means the best but some of her actions and thoughts, I do not agree with. You're fine just be the woman you are and demand whatever you want because let's face it, LIFE developed in you.
Helpful - 0
How rude of her to make you feel that way its a very personal thing your the one laying there on display. Don't feel bad at all be comfortable
Helpful - 0
I never understand why the mil gets mad they can't be in there..  like why would they think there sons gf / wife would even be comfortable with that lol. I always say my mil can do that w her own daughter when the time comes. It's your day,  they had there's and I'm sure they did not want there mil in the room.
Helpful - 0
You definitely don't need extra stress or discomfort! !!  No MIL in the room unless you want her there.  Mine is too busy worrying about her own daughter who is now pregnant, planning her next vacation,  and figuring out how much interest to charge us on some dumb loan my husband took out from them before he and I even met.  Smh !  I like thr girl who said her hospital took care of it.  I say if you want to be nice, she can be at the hospital in the waiting room.  My dad was in Vietnam when my oldest brother was born so I am just having my husband with me as she thinks it is no big deal.  My mom is awesome but I would never have my MIL around the delivery room.  I feel you on the arguments.   I have more arguments about his parents and issues they cause than anything else.  Thank goodness they live across the country!!  ♡☆♡☆ I hope it all works out for you!!!
Helpful - 0
Unless she is pushing it out or catching it you don't need her. My hospital will take the slack for a patient. You tell you nurse your desires and they will pass it along as if it is hospital policy. ..I love that.
Helpful - 0
Ugh I feel you. My fiance wants his mom there and says it won't be fair if his mom is not there in the room. She didn't even ask she just said to me she's going to be there. I was so pissed. Now that time is getting closer to the day I give birth I'm really annoyed. I want my fiance to be happy but I really don't want his mom in the room. We don't really talk or have a great relationship. So it's like she just wants to be there to be there. oh no. :( Idk what to do. And every time I bring it up it causes an argument between us. Sometimes I don't even want him in there because he acts like he's the one giving birth. Smh
Helpful - 0
Nope since my husband was deployed when our first baby was born and i only had military friends support.  .  . My own mom is not allowed in the delivery room when i give birth this time just my husband since he missed out the first time.
Helpful - 0
Your body. Your choice. I refused to have my mil in the room when I went into labor with my last 2 pregnancies.
Helpful - 0
No way its not about her! Its your delivery and you get to call the shots!
Helpful - 0
You're the one who's pushing out a child, whatever makes you comfortable. Mother in law should be more understanding!
Helpful - 0
Oh heck no!  I canceled my wedding and eloped because my MIL wanted to be too involved.  My mother is in a different state so she couldn't be there for my first delivery but I told my husband we weren't even telling his mom I was in labor.
Helpful - 0
Absolutely not! This is a time for you to be very concentrated on what's going on inwards, so you should have just does you really want and need in there. Even if you change your mind in the middle and want to send your own mom and sis out they should be understanding about it and not complain either.
Helpful - 0
Hey I wouldn't.... I too am not having  my mother-in-law there. I want to be comfortable and I know I would find her being there irritating and stressful. I am allowed to have up to 5 ppl in the room but I am only having  my husband and mom there. I don't even  want my sisters there.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: July 2015 Babies Community