is st johns wort safe?

my doctor recommend it for me since i only take herbal stuff but that was befor pregnancy and when i visited him last time he said nothing of it yesterday i went to the er because of a bad allergy reaction to a bug bite when i told that was one of the medecines i used first she didnt seem to fond of it and when the exam was done she left and not more then 5 mins later she said to stop taking it its worst then ibeprofen and benadril together and i was also told they couldnt give me benadril because i was too early in prengnancy but what i want to know really is the st johns wort all i can find is there was no data record of any problems so is it that she just dont like herbs or is it really a problem?
My doctor told me to stay away from herbal stuff.  Teas, medicines ect...  Mostly, they haven't been evulated by the FDA, so they don't know what problems can arise while taken during pregnancy.  Yes, they are natures drugs, but there haven't really been studies on how they affect the unborn.  because of this some people are opposed to taking anything like that during pregnancy.  

I don't know anything specifically on St Johns wort....  I was just told not to use ANY herbal stuff during pregnancy.
Hello Clafoutis!

I have heard also to stay away from St. John's Wort.  There is not a whole lot of indications for the use of St. John's while pregnant and it's issues with pregnancy or to the fetus.  I would definitely speak to your OB or family doctor because if you are using it for depression, there are a lot of other antidepressants that have been proven very safe for use during pregnancy with a lot of studies to back it up.  I wouldn't take a second thought to having to use a medication for depression if you are or have suffered with Clinical depression in your life time.  Of course, there are many schools of thought in taking medications while you are pregnant but your OB will definitely speak with you on the benefits and the risks and which outweigh the other.  The most important thing you have to think of is, if you are not well - you may not be able to have a healthy pregnancy.  
Don't be afraid to speak with your doctor about your concerns.  Also, pharmacists are very schooled on the effects of drugs and herbal remedies and pregnancy too.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator;
MTHFR Group Forum Founder/Moderator;
Pregnancy: June 2011 Community Leader

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: June 2011 Babies Community

Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.