Pregnancy: Oct 2015 Babies Community
871 Members

Breastfeeding (possible yeast infection)

So this is my second child and so far it quite the challenge. My first was easy, no problems starting or ending breastfeeding but this one feels completely opposite. He is a week old today and sore far I have had a crack/bleeding nipple, so I stopped feeding on that breast and jump pumped until it felt better. Now I'm feel like I'm fighting engorgement daily. But now I have this burning feeling in my breast and read that it could be a yeast infection. It just started yesterday and today I decided to stop feeding him by my breast and just pump. I'm boiling all bottle and pump supplies for 20min. Do I need to see a doctor or can I get rid of it on my own since it just started? Or is it something else and I'm just freaking out?
Lansinoh cream is amazing for a cracked nipple and safe for baby. Put it on after each feed/pump. The burning could be a number of things. If it's an infection like Mastitis you may need antibiotics, pump the crap out of that boob! It could just be a clogged duct which is terribly painful but excess nursing on that breast should dislodge it. Can you feel a lump at the redness sight?
No redness and I feel a lump but think it could be a clogged or from the engorgement. I try to massage it out and yesterday I started to pump like every 2-3 hours. The only thing I feel is the burning sensation in my breast.
Watch for fever, chills, redness or sharp pain in the breaat. All of these things can indicate mastitis. I would try a cold or warm compress and keep that breast soft. Hope you get relief soon.
Just keep feeding or pumping that side as much as possible. It's really the only way to work out a clog.  Hot hot shower can help. But yes like the other poster said make sure you keep an eye out for those other symptoms to make sure it's not an infection.
I'd go and see what doctor thinks. It can be whatever so sometimes antibiotics is only passible way to go with. I'd not risk it once your baby is fed by milk coming of that breast...my opinion
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.